• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Safe Manual Shifting a 727

Shifting from third to second on acceleration is what kickdown linkage is for. I see no reason for the manual abuse.
A. It's not necessarily abuse - that's what I'm trying to establish.
B. There are definitely times when it's needed. There is no part-throttle kickdown, so to change to 2nd I need to floor it using the kickdown. If I'm slightly above the threshold where it will kickdown, I'm left in D accelerating. but not that fast. If I want to make a quick overtake I want maximum acceleration, so need to manually shift to 2nd instead of flooring it and hoping it's going to kickdown. I can also hold the gear to redline, instead of the transmission changing up early. I've read the factory '68 hemi cars would hold on until 5,500 rpm before upshifting. Mine isn't calibrated like that and changes up at about 4,000 rpm. I could probably get all this changed by spending money but if it isn't harming the transmission then I'm happy carrying on using the manual shift.

There must be some auto trans experts on here who can answer definitively.

Drive it how you want to. This is the last harrah for these cars on the streets.

Just buy a manual valve body. Easy install, and can be swapped back to stock easy in the future.

The most tried-and-true way to kill a 727 is a poor burnout technique at the track.

I'll bet my next piece of *** that didn't happen from just manually shifting it on the street!:D:D
I believe this was the result of the tried and true :D method of the time of neutral drop starts.

Haha wow... this thread turned into a piss fest.

At the end of the day if you enjoy driving thr car the way you do , then keep doing it. If you are concerned enough to ask then obviously blowing up your traemission is not something you want to do . Stick to the 1 2 D upshifts and make sure linkage is adjusted properly . Let the transmission work like it was supposed.

Or take the "you only live once " approach and do whatever u want ! But if you blow it up don't be upset ! Your car .. your money .... your time.

Haha wow... this thread turned into a piss fest.

At the end of the day if you enjoy driving thr car the way you do , then keep doing it. If you are concerned enough to ask then obviously blowing up your traemission is not something you want to do . Stick to the 1 2 D upshifts and make sure linkage is adjusted properly . Let the transmission work like it was supposed.

Or take the "you only live once " approach and do whatever u want ! But if you blow it up don't be upset ! Your car .. your money .... your time.
YOLO it is then!

727 trans were built rock hard, great reputation, some drag racing legends back in the day preferred them to a manual and there was a SS manual VB setup. Tracks required having a driveshaft safety catch to run the car. Wonder why? Anyone having done a heady manual down shift to 1st gear can feel the shock-stress on the rear, shaft, and trans doing it getting that solid breaking of the rubber, hopping tires, and rpm surge. Why da eff do this unless ya might find there’s no brakes? (Happened to me once.) Hopefully the worst outcome is skanked driveshaft u-joints. A bud dropped his driveshaft on the street in his 4-speed GTX pulling a wild-*** downshift. As I mentioned in the other post, manual upshifting taking it beyond the auto shift points can be done all day (not considering the hardship the motor is enduring). Driving 65mph and passing downshift doesn’t kick putting it to the floor means it is beyond the max auto shift point; you could drop it into 2nd need be…I’d really suggest not 1st. All sorts of modifications can be done to change shift points; but having explored the deal, I’m staying with manual upshifting when I have the urge for other stuff to spend cash and time on. Sure, can beat da **** out of the ride for thrills but that has an expiration date. Running a motor much beyond its engineered redline won't get more torque or HP other than louder screaming.

My 727 has never shifted automatically since I’ve had it. When I got it, it had a hurst ratchet shifter that didn’t work so I removed it and hooked the column shift back up. I assume the 727 had been modified to a manual valve body but I’ve gotten used to shifting. Plus I have to make a 200km road trip to get it rebuilt one of these days.
Either way, I can’t imagine shifting into 1st from anything more than 5mph. You are running some high-*** rpms and driving the **** out of your car, which is fine, but just don’t be surprised when it eventually gives out.

I grab first from drive @45-50 mph all the time to 65-70mph. done it for years. 2.76gearsx27"tires
Grab 2nd @70-75 from drive a lot. Never a problem

78 LeBaron 360 2.54(45?) Fine spline gears..
Used to grab first at a true 60mph..
I was much younger then, and had less GAF lol

I grab first from drive @45-50 mph all the time to 65-70mph. done it for years. 2.76gearsx27"tires
Grab 2nd @70-75 from drive a lot. Never a problem
Why? Would suggest a driveshaft loop...maybe two lol.

Why? Would suggest a driveshaft loop...maybe two lol.
Ron, I'm the straightest guy you'll ever meet, don't drink too much, don't smoke, don't do drugs, eat my vegetables, help old ladies cross the street.
I have to have ONE vice.
Dropping from D into 2nd (or even 1st if I'm feeling really wild) - I mean, a guy has to live a little...

I am far from a transmission expert, but to me it sounds like you are kicking the crap out of transmission lol .

Its an automatic transmission for a reason. Its not meant to be used like a manual ( unless modified specifically for that purpose )

The up shifting from a stand still , i don't think is any problem at all. The down shifting on the other hand...... i feel like your putting some extra stress that is not needed.

Look forward to hearing some of the more experienced replies..
Slap Stick shifters are meant for hard up shifting. Down shifting an automatic trans while moving isn't good for them.

Everytime you squeeze the gas pedal hard enough it will downshift. Did Chrysler make a mistake?

Very strange responses in this thread.

Last edited:
Ron, I'm the straightest guy you'll ever meet, don't drink too much, don't smoke, don't do drugs, eat my vegetables, help old ladies cross the street.
I have to have ONE vice.
Dropping from D into 2nd (or even 1st if I'm feeling really wild) - I mean, a guy has to live a little...
Lol! You're a stand up. I got my bad habits as well pard; sounds like more than you have.

The most tried-and-true way to kill a 727 is a poor burnout technique at the track.

I'll bet my next piece of *** that didn't happen from just manually shifting it on the street!:D:D
I would guess that was a classic neutral drop. Kinda looks like "Dandy" Dick Landy examining it. I rebuild 727's as a sideline for my friends, and have that picture on my shop wall. Warranty Denied!

Everytime you squeeze the gas pedal hard enough it will downshift. Did Chrysler make a mistake?

Very strange responses in this thread.
They didn't "make a mistake", but they did introduce part throttle kickdown in later years for a reason.
Just yesterday I was passing a line of stationary traffic in a 2 lane to 1 lane merge. As I started to overtake them the traffic signal turned green and they began to move. I needed to scoot along to pass the lead car but it didn't warrant a foot to the floor/kickdown action. I did what I've always done, dropped to 2nd and passed them all safely with probably 3/4 throttle. The car was under better control this way, used less fuel, created less of a stir, and probably didn't reach the same top speed either. It was a much cleaner manoeuvre.
If I had a torque monster big block I could have probably stayed in D and just used a bit more throttle.

Auto Transport Service
Back