• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Safe Manual Shifting a 727

In the owner's manual it states to downshift on a steep downhill grade to hold speed and save on the brakes and to downshift going uphill to maintain speed on a steep upgrade.
Sounds to me Chrysler said it is okay to downshift while moving.
And, as earlier posted, if downshifting want safe they wouldn't have designed to do so automatically.

They did not say down shifts under power were safe now did they. With the proper linkage hooked up the transmission will decide when down shifts are appropriate. But yes I was dumb and young once myself. Some time we learn from those experiences.
Your transmission do what you want.

They did not say down shifts under power were safe now did they. With the proper linkage hooked up the transmission will decide when down shifts are appropriate. But yes I was dumb and young once myself. Some time we learn from those experiences.
This is a rude comment and out of line. Watch your tone.

When I'm driving down the road in "D" and I squeeze the gas pedel and the factory programming causes the transmission to down shift, is that not down shifting under power?

Apparently, I have been lucky 100,000 times.

727s have beat mercilessly for a billion miles for 50 years. Sooner or later after enough abuse they will sh** the bed.

Surprisingly, I have not grenaded a 727. I'm sure I will. And I'll wonder what took so long.

Last edited:
It's been suggested on this forum many times that real men drive manual gearboxes and that automatics are less manly, maybe even meant for girls.

Some members here have autos and leave them in D.

I have an auto but often shift manually. Now I'm worried. Does this make me a.....well it is a thread about Trannies after all.

If I was required to pick the trans for my old ride it would be a manual. I’ve had them in my past daily drivers including my 67 GTO and 70 Cuda. Loved ‘em. Only reason I have an auto in my old ride is it’s a pushbutton. Just an old fan (I’m old) of them and some legendary drag racers loved them for their durability and responsiveness. One had his ’65 Plymouth outfitted with the one from his ‘64 when Chrysler dropped the buttons so he could keep using it another season. I’d never say those guys were girly men. Get a kick out of how many people look at the PB shift at the shows; old guys showing their kids and grandkids, some recalling when they or their dad had one. Got a laugh when an attractive gal, girlfriend of a bud, asked to sit in it and eventually asked “hey where’s the shifter thingy”? Told her transmissions were optional back when and my car doesn’t have one. Wish I had a photo of the look on her cute face, lol.

I leave the light and shift at 6,000. 2-3 at 6,000. Oh did I mention christmas tree light.
:poke:

Auto Transport Service
Back