• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Safety Clean/shop wash vat solutions....going to diesel.....?

I have had mineral spirits in my parts cleaning tank now for about 30 years. I final spray the parts with brake cleaner after to get any remaining residue off.

I have had mineral spirits in my parts cleaning tank now for about 30 years. I final spray the parts with brake cleaner after to get any remaining residue off.
My main gripe is soaking nasty engine fasteners etc....and they are still fairly nasty after a good soak and the residue that's left behind isn't all that easy to get off. Seems with the diesel 'test', the residue is a light coating of oil that doesn't dry but the parts are much cleaner. I've been using mineral spirits for a long time too and well, want something that works better for me. Plus a 5 gallon can comes out to 9.75 a gallon from the cheapest place I can find around here.

My main gripe is soaking nasty engine fasteners etc....and they are still fairly nasty after a good soak and the residue that's left behind isn't all that easy to get off. Seems with the diesel 'test', the residue is a light coating of oil that doesn't dry but the parts are much cleaner. I've been using mineral spirits for a long time too and well, want something that works better for me. Plus a 5 gallon can comes out to 9.75 a gallon from the cheapest place I can find around here.
I get tired of that **** too Cranky. I guess my patience has worn thin over the years. When dealing with batches of smaller parts I tend to go with an overnight soak in lacquer thinner or even phosphoric acid.
I'm getting too old to be scrubbing on ****. I like just wiping things off these days. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back