• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sandblasting question -

Wire wheels can be very dangerous....

Harbor freight has an el cheapo cabinet that does the job for limited use for an budget.....
El Cheapo is an understatement but it's a good starting point. I found mine to be nearly impossibly to see anything in unless you use the shop vac port and it won't siphon any decent sized media without plugging. Use a vac and smaller media and it will get the job done. Later down the road I'm going to make mine where it draws the media from the bottom of the funnel instead of the annoying suction tube.

I wouldn't consider any blasting in your garage unless it's in a cabinet, if you only do a few jobs a year throw a tarp in the yard and do it outside... that crap gets everywhere!

How I did my pumpkin as too heavy to put in the cabinet and need the pail to seal the glass out of the gear side. Shipping tub liner bag, but you could use a tarp with some folding.
View attachment 674472 View attachment 674473 View attachment 674474 View attachment 674475 View attachment 674476
How did you keep the sand out?:screwy:

I've blasted many things and have learned my lessons, that crap gets into everything and is nearly impossible to get out without a full disassembly and cleaning. If I do a rear the whole axle gets done with the pinion and axles siliconed tight then rebuilt afterwards.

How did you keep the sand out?:screwy:

I blasted the yolk separate, removed from the unit. Installed a new pinion seal, reinstalled the yolk and then taped off the gap between it and the pumpkin with multiple layers of electrical tape.. The bucket I have the unit sitting in is the perfect diameter sitting just inside the bolt holes. Grease around the bucket lip, pumpkin in place and go. I had ZERO glass media inside the housing.

This may not work for you, depending on the workspace that you have, but it has worked out great for me. Being in Alaska and needing to do a lot of blasting in the winter time. Too cold to do it outside on a tarp so I got one of those pop up portable greenhouses about 6x6 feet. I set it up in my shop and do my blasting inside and warm. the media is very well contained. I DO wear a supplied air respirator and you will come out of the job being totally filthy, but you can get the job done, fold it up and use it time and time again. I have blasted all my parts and pieces this way. There's enough room inside to put a couple of sawhorses to set your part on. I have done my doors, fenders, rear axle etc... Works great!!

Auto Transport Service
Back