• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sandwiches ie epoxy sandwiches that is…..

Hey @eldubb440 are you using a sealer between the primer and base coat? Are you using a chemical bond in the window of the primer or mechanical bond?
I finish sand with 400; 600 for the lighter metallics.......followed with a sealer coat just prior to paint

SPI epoxy with a little reducer as a sealer (it's all on the data sheet)....... other than a can of aerosol etch for little things , SPI epoxy is the ONLY primer I use

when I de-nib the base after a few passes, it also de-nibs the sealer coat

To use as a Paint Sealer: To use this epoxy as a paint sealer, mix it 1:1 with activator and reduce 10-50% with the proper temperature range urethane reducer (this is very important), induce for 30 minutes and spray with your base/clear gun. Spray one wet coat ONLY, let it sit 2 hours then apply paint. For sealing of a potential problem paint job, apply two coats of epoxy with proper flash times between coats and let it sit overnight before painting. You may basecoat over Epoxy Primer reduced as a sealer from 2-48 hours without sanding. After 48 hours scuff with a gray scuff pad or equivalent first.

https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/_files/ugd/8ced3e_2e1da7dc5da34c94bb9c9704d8464b44.pdf
Gotcha thanks!

Back in the day I used to use PPG DP90 which was good stuff at the time. When they took the lead out, I hunted around for something else and eventually settled on SPI and never looked back. Mark (eldubb440) painted my convertible for me and did a spectacular job, so I would trust his advice.

SPI primer on the way! Had a lengthy conversation with Barry. Glad to see a company have such great technical support when most have none.

SPI primer on the way! Had a lengthy conversation with Barry. Glad to see a company have such great technical support when most have none.
Barry is top notch for sure.
Also, head over to the SPI forum if you haven't done so already. There is a wealth of information on tap and the participants are more than willing to help with any questions you may have.

Auto Transport Service
Back