• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

school me on a 451 stroker

I din't read all 4 pages of this, so here is my 2-cents.
If you are on a budget, check the cost of the pistons for your combination. If you come up with a combination uses an off-the-shelf piston it can save you hundreds compared to a custom piston. The selection of off the shelf stroker pistons using the larger 1.094" piston pin has gotten pretty slim as most of the stroker pistons now use the smaller 0.990" piston pin size that is common with aftermarket rods, but the money you save (compared to custom pistons) will pay for the new rods. For a street/strip engine without a power adder like nitrous, the rod ratios are not going to make much difference.
My old 451 (built around 1992) used a cut-down 440 crank and reconditioned 440 rods, with dished Ross pistons and 65cc B1-B/S heads for about 11:1 compression, it had a mild 252 @ 0.050" duration, 0.614" lift solid roller cam, M1 single plane and 1,000cfm holley HP carb and 2" headers. It was a great running engines that did not give me any problems fot 10 years till an intake valve broke. I replaced that engine with a 500" stroked 400, using a 440 Source 4.15" stroker kit, flat top pistons, Edelbrock Max wedge Victors, Indy intake, the same Holley carb and 2" headers, but use a more agressive 264 @ 0.050", 0.714" lift cam, and the new engine puts out a solid 100+ more HP than the 451, but it has had valve train issues (rocker stands breaking on the heads) running the bigger cam and stiffer spring pressures.
Both of the engines were ran with a stock 26" 3-core radiator and Mopar viscous fan package. Cooling was OK, but marginal on 90+ degree days, but temps never got over 200 degrees.
I also built a 505" stroked 440 using a 440 source 4.25" stroker kit with the 7.1" rods, 17cc dished pistons, mildly ported stealth heads 9about 10.4:1 compression), RPM intake and 770 Holley Avenger carb (intake and carb will be replaced with FI in the future.) This is a street build so it has a mild Comp hydraulic roller cam, and 1-7/8" TTI headers.
I'm running 1.7:1 rocker arms so lift is about 0.613", with the 236/242 @ 0.050" duration.
Just been running it this summer in my '69 Coronet R/T, and no cooling issues, even in 100+ degree weather. Running a Glen-ray 26" 3-Core radiator, Mopar viscous fan package, and factory shroud.

I'm on my second 451 build and no regrets. 1st was in my 71 Charger SE. Goobs of torque. never did run that on the track . Car is now for sale in NY and is advertised as having a 383 in it.

My second motor is currently in my 71 RR. I'm running a Demon Six Shooter in fron of a 4 speed/Dana 60. The car runs like a scoulded dog.

Auto Transport Service
Back