• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

School me on switching to manual steering

1967coronet440

Local time
9:10 AM
Reaction score
Think I’m going to make the switch from power to manual. Can I just swap the gearbox out? What about linkage can everything under the car still be used, draglink etc...

Thanks in advance

Bo

Did you know that whey protein is cheaper than a steering box change if you want bigger biceps. :D
Lol

6B5550E1-F393-4E7A-BD8E-4C6415A50BF7.jpeg

They make an adapter to extend column. I'll see if I can find where to buy .

Come to the conclusion my car isn’t hitting the road this year so I’m making some changes to keep busy over the winter.

:steering:

The steering coupler is also different between manual and power. the diameter of the geared teeth is different. You need a steering box, a manual column and a manual coupler. If you have column shift and want to keep it, a manual column with column shift will be the easiest way. All of the shift linkage should mate up. If you have a 73 up Abody, the pitman arm will not be the same. The Flaming River adapters are expensive ($125-$150) and in my opinion gaudy. You can get the correct column and coupler for that price. I like the look of a stock column, not an obvious modification

Use the adapter, but if you change columns, go with an Ididit or Flaming River. They will have a 1 inch double shaft so you then get a 3/4 double d shaft that will slide into the column. That’s your slip for safety. Get a 3/4-36 spline u joint to connect to the box and your golden. Also PST is making new manual boxes that are priced reasonable. You pitman arm will be re-used as it’s an 1.125 (73” and up went to 1.250). Best thing about this swap if you go aftermarket column is you get tilt and you use a different steering wheel. They may make an adapter to re-use you factory wheel, but I’m not 100% certain on that.

Use the adapter, but if you change columns, go with an Ididit or Flaming River. They will have a 1 inch double shaft so you then get a 3/4 double d shaft that will slide into the column. That’s your slip for safety. Get a 3/4-36 spline u joint to connect to the box and your golden. Also PST is making new manual boxes that are priced reasonable. You pitman arm will be re-used as it’s an 1.125 (73” and up went to 1.250). Best thing about this swap if you go aftermarket column is you get tilt and you use a different steering wheel. They may make an adapter to re-use you factory wheel, but I’m not 100% certain on that.
Adapter seems like the best route right now.

I’ll post some pics of my set up, that you will have an idea of it looks like.

Here’s some pics. Don’t mind the wiring, it’s done just for proof of concept. I’m here to help, so don’t hesitate to call.

9E0CE5A9-49F0-4209-B02D-44228BB47C77.jpeg C7F0D51E-A091-4DE5-935C-D3FB2CA8D5F9.jpeg 8C6C224D-47A7-45F7-9673-B310F0BB5B4D.jpeg

Thanks I’m gonna pull my gear box and pump and list it for sale.

Auto Transport Service
Back