• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seal intake bolts on Hemi intake?

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
Replacing the intake on my 66 Hemi I noticed at least some of the bolt holes are through-drilled into the engine valley. None of mine seemed to be wicking oil up to the top of the manifold but it got me to wondering if some non-hardening Permatex thread sealer should normally be applied to the threads? mine didn’t appear to have any applied by the last guy there.

no need for sealant on the intake bolts did you get the intake off finally? Never mind I seen your other post

Was it leaking before? If it wasn't, I would think there was some kind of sealant applied but I'm not a Hemi guy so don't know. IMO, any bolt that see's oil should have some sealant on the threads....

Problem is using sealer on the threads messes with the correct torque value. I would use nothing and get it running and keep torquing until they quit moving. That way your seated into the gasket. Then if they wick one at a time seal them and torque them

I put ‘em in dry, and they are still dry.

White Teflon paste on bolt threads. It will seal water, antifreeze, and oil. Been using it over 30 years. No thread leaks ever.
Doug

I think thats what I have with the Permatex. I would not think it would create an issue with torquing but yeah, I know they are pretty low torque. They were not leaking but they were heavily painted over and sealed with paint which won’t be the case when it goes back together.

I think thats what I have with the Permatex. I would not think it would create an issue with torquing but yeah, I know they are pretty low torque. They were not leaking but they were heavily painted over and sealed with paint which won’t be the case when it goes back together.
Put them in with a film of oil. Torque and run. Retorque and run till they quit moving. Then look for wicking oil. I doubt you will have any.

Well, I did stumble around and find these intake instructions although I’m not sure they are authentic Chrysler Engineering docs and certainly not original as they describe using RTV on the ends. They don’t mention any sealer so I guess I’ll go back without and watch them.

https://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/300/312/312-P5153737.pdf

Thanks for the responses.

Auto Transport Service
Back