• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small oil puddles on both side of manifold. What’s the likelihood of it being oil coming up from the bolts and not leaking from both valve covers?

tonyp25

Local time
8:33 AM
Reaction score
Noticed some oil on both sides of my intake right near the bolts. It’s a 74’ RR, 318, 4bbl carter, Edelbrock intake, mild cam original heads and block.

The valve covers are recent (but I didn’t do them) the bolts on the edlebrock do not look recent. Is it worth trying to put thread locker on the bolts or is much more likely the guy before me did a poor job with the valve covers?

I didn’t notice any oil leaking from the covers or the bolts but maybe I’m just not seeing it well.

IMG_6397.jpeg

IMG_6398.jpeg

I would say possible. I had the same issue on my old aluminum intake, both sides. Recently did an intake change and all new intake gaskets, using thread sealer (not locker) on my ARP bolts. No more puddles.

I would say possible. I had the same issue on my old aluminum intake, both sides. Recently did an intake change and all new intake gaskets, using thread sealer (not locker) on my ARP bolts. No more puddles.
Thanks! I meant thread sealer but my pea brain typed thread locker! I don’t need them locked might as well just weld them in haha.

I guess it won’t hurt to take won’t bolt out at a time out some sealer on and try again. If that doesn’t work I’ll replace the gaskets next. Just need to figure out the torque spec for these bolts….though the bolts on the intake are mismatched so I’m sure they could also just use some new bolts too

People sometimes are not aware (I was one of them) that the intake bolt threads and the threads in the heads themselves leave a series of small gaps that allow oil to migrate up. Crankcase pressure will force oil vapor UP the bolts and allow it to pool up in anywhere it cannot drain out. The Factory Service Manuals do state to use a non hardening thread sealer on the intake mounting bolts, though I rarely read them that closely. I used to think that you just install the bolts dry and torque to spec. I've had oil like this show up and after some research, I learned that the thread sealer blocked the oil vapor from getting through. A sealant and a good PCV system should solve the problem. It did for me.

I don't see how a valve cover leak can run uphill and over the edge of the intake

I'd remove and seal one at a time...... make sure the hole isnt full of oil when you put them back in...... I've used a teflon tape for this kind of stuff, especially if the hole is already oily

I like Permatex #2 on any bolt that threads into a oil or coolant area. It's non harding and will keep the liquid from wicking out.

People sometimes are not aware (I was one of them) that the intake bolt threads and the threads in the heads themselves leave a series of small gaps that allow oil to migrate up. Crankcase pressure will force oil vapor UP the bolts and allow it to pool up in anywhere it cannot drain out. The Factory Service Manuals do state to use a non hardening thread sealer on the intake mounting bolts, though I rarely read them that closely. I used to think that you just install the bolts dry and torque to spec. I've had oil like this show up and after some research, I learned that the thread sealer blocked the oil vapor from getting through. A sealant and a good PCV system should solve the problem. It did for me.

Awesome info! Great to know. On a side note do you think these gaps in the threads can cause a drop in oil pressure (even if only slightly)?

I don't think it is possible for the leaks to have any relation to pressure. There is a fair amount of oil vapor floating around under the intake in the lifter valley. There is oil squirting off the lifters, out of the crank bearing journals, off the cam and pushrods too. The pistons moving up and down create air movement everywhere there is an open space. Everything under the intake gets at least a mist of oil on it. The movement of the pistons going up and down creates some pressure that wants to go somewhere. The PCV system tries to add suction to extract the pressure and run it through the combustion process by exiting at the base of the carburetor. (To be burned equally in all cylinders) Too much crankcase pressure can exist with high mile engines. The oil vapor from PCV movement in high mileage engines is a death spiral.....as the engine is MORE tired, it gets MORE oil vapor to foul the plugs, resulting in misfires and added crud and sludge.

Auto Transport Service
Back