• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Searching for 70 R.R. exhast system...

Dave Pratt

Local time
4:03 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking around now for a new exhaust system for my 70 Roadrunner.I'm running stock exhaust manifolds and want to find a good 2 1/2 system front to back.I was looking for some opinions with regards to what company,what type of system,H-pipe,etc.Any comments would help...cheers

Dave

i just put a brandy new exhaust on my 70 Road Runner. 383 4bbl
stock manifolds
2-1/2" from manifolds to Flow Master 40's...2-1/4 from there to the stock tips.
h-pipe

i did not buy this from an online company, i had it done at a custom exhaust shop...all for $600.00...and it looks FANTASTIC !..a real pro job .

accurate exhaust will run you well over $1000.00 for a complete system...but from my understanding it will fit the first time. it all depends on what you want.

i did relentless research and found that getting it custom done was the best for what i wanted.

tpodwdog thanks for getting back to me.I haven't looked at getting a custom built set made but hey,that will work for me just fine...I appreciate you getting back to me...thanks

Dave

tpodwdog thanks for getting back to me.I haven't looked at getting a custom built set made but hey,that will work for me just fine...I appreciate you getting back to me...thanks

Dave

Love me some custom work! Here's to craftsmanship. But if you DO want one made to order, Accurate is perfect the first time. I literally watched their video and then put the whole system on in two hours on jacks in my garage, and haven't touched it since except to tighten the bolts. But it WAS on the order of $900.00 by the time I had the right tips, new mounting hardware and hangers, etc,...

It seemed expensive till I was rolling around on my back installing it. At that point it was worth every penny!

Grabinov911 is that the 2.25 system you installed and if so how do you like it?I was thinking of going 2.50 for better flow but maybe I don't need it with the 383?So many bloody questions to ask!Thanks for the reply...

Dave

Dave,

I put in the 2.5" system because it mated up with my (also new) Schumacher headers. I like everything about the system honestly. It went in easily and mated up perfectly with the Schumacher headers (which are also reported to be very accurately bent so that they fit right every time - manufactured by TTI for Schumacher) and I really like the way it sounds. I told them I wanted it loud, and they sent me out with the Magnum mufflers. They drone a bit inside the car at freeway speeds, but they are polite at idle and at stop lights. They also make serious noise outside the car if you put your foot in it, which is what I wanted. For a street car, I'd say I ended up with a very good combination. Serious classic muscle car rumble.

For a race car, I'd use the TTI full header, which I think goes into a 3" exhaust. Great at 4,000+ RPM if you spend any time there.

i also have a drone with the flow master 40's at 1900 to 2100 RPM..(3:55 gears 383 hp stock...thats at about 40 MPH ). after that its quiet on the inside of the car....loud outside ( yes i had someone follow me and they could not hear their radio) ...lol

quiet on the highway....no drone ! i love it!

Bought my 2.5" system from the manifolds back,mandrel bent and just a scratch over $300 to the door off ebag.No crossover but fit like a glove.

Wannadrag are those stock exhaust manifolds you're running or headers?This is my first muscle car(only took 45 years but it was worth the wait) and I had it in my head about putting headers on it for added power but it's loud at hi-way speeds I would imagine?I'm trying to find the best exhaust combination.Do I stay with the stock HP exhaust manifolds or track down a set of headers...(they sound great by the way)...I'm not in a hurry but want the best combo I can find...these Schumacher headers I haven't heard about yet.They sound interesting though.Wondering about starter clearance as well as spark plug access...thanks by the way guys for all your input so far.This site has been great to a novice like myself.I've loved muscle cars all my life but now to own one...man do I love this car!

You kiiding me!?...I drive by that shop all the time.It's right around the corner from Plum Crazy Restorations...I'll give them a shout! Thanks for the info...

Dave

Stock manifolds.Had piles of cars with headers and am sick of the leaky gaskets and burnt plug wires,smoked starters.

Wannadrag are those stock exhaust manifolds you're running or headers?This is my first muscle car(only took 45 years but it was worth the wait) and I had it in my head about putting headers on it for added power but it's loud at hi-way speeds I would imagine?I'm trying to find the best exhaust combination.Do I stay with the stock HP exhaust manifolds or track down a set of headers...(they sound great by the way)...I'm not in a hurry but want the best combo I can find...these Schumacher headers I haven't heard about yet.They sound interesting though.Wondering about starter clearance as well as spark plug access...thanks by the way guys for all your input so far.This site has been great to a novice like myself.I've loved muscle cars all my life but now to own one...man do I love this car!

Hey Dave,

The other guys here know what they're talking about, so I can only speak from my experience with THESE headers, but the Schumachers have a VERY thick head flange, so they stay flat against the heads, and as a result seem to have no issues with leaky or torn gaskets. The plugs are much easier to get to than on the stock manifolds because, among other reasons, you can see them from the top between the head and the header pipe. I have heat shields on two of the plug wires (the two at the back) where they are near the headers, but the other wires don't get anywhere near the pipes. Hey even the stock manifolds had heat shields for some of the plugs/wires!

I DID switch to a modern mini starter that I also got from Schumacher. I know it doesn't look or sound like a 1970 starter, but when it comes to reliability parts, I'll gladly switch to modern even if it means the car doesn't look perfectly stock. I'm like you - I waited a long time and do this for fun. I can't STAND machines that won't run reliably.

Enjoy...

Auto Transport Service
Back