• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SGTPauls 68 Charger RT project

It's nice to see someone else taking on what the motor city area has to offer us. It's amazing for them to be born here but it's hard for them to survive. Keep up the good work! I'll be looking to get mine sandblasted soon, how was ray's pricing?

It's nice to see someone else taking on what the motor city area has to offer us. It's amazing for them to be born here but it's hard for them to survive. Keep up the good work! I'll be looking to get mine sandblasted soon, how was ray's pricing?

Check George's Collision for media blasting as well. That's where I get my stuff done.

Now this project takes a lot of balls...and a hell of a lot of talent!!! This is really something to watch and learn from.Give er' hell Sgt.

Thanks for the comments all.

Ray's was pretty good. They work with you. After the first pass they called and had me come over to look at my new holes. I was able to have them stop on those parts and continue elsewhere. I didn't know before I brought the car in, but scrape as much of the under coating off as you can. It will reduce your blasting bill. They had trouble getting into some areas due to the suspension still on the car. Overall I was happy with the results for the 1st time doing this. He's only a 5 min drive from my house so it makes it easy to go there.

No real progress to report on the car. Been very busy at work, took on a project at my church, and too many parties this time of year.:beerchug: Took my inner fenders, firewall, upper cowl, and radiator support in for blasting and priming. Hope to install those after the Christmas madness subsides.

New Year = new progress

Happy new year all! Finally got some work done on my R/T with time off this weekend. Installed and welded in my fire wall and upper cowl. Fitted in my right inner fender, radiator support, right door, and right fender. Minor massaging required after some head scratching. I have a left inner fender I hoped to fit in as well. However, it is a non-AMD reproduction from someone on eBay and didn’t fit very well. :sFun_doh2: Located a used one from Dodge 33 and hope to have it later this week. A few progress pics below.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,164
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,162
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,141
  • pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,148
Now I know why I can never find any spare metel jig vise grips at the hardware store....They're all on a Charger over in Detroit! LOL. J/K Progress is looking great. Keep up the good work Sarge.

You do great work Sarge, continued good luck! i see what Prop means, i went to the hardware while in town just before Christmas to get or check on ordering a extra battery for my Makita drill and i always walk out with at least one extra wrench or something and they were out of those vise grips, They never once mentioned anything about a guy in Detroit but were out of them.. :)

Rolling on...

Thanks for the comments! Well, I took a break form buying up all the welding clamps in the area to get a little work done on the R/T. :happy7: Test fit the rest of the front inner structure, fender, and door on the driver’s side. It turned out that my inner fender didn’t fit that well since my frame rail was tilted a little to far toward the center of the car. After adjustment to the frame rail it all fit. Have the first pass of welding and grinding the inner fenders and upper radiator support in place. Picked-up all the floor pieces needed to reach the rear bumper for my next area of work. Busy at the day job on a deadline so the progress has been a bit slow. A few progress pics below.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 1,070
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,065
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,078
What do you do for work? I ask b/c I never seem to have time to do my own cars' work such as this -- I'm doing the same work on others' cars, but, I'm NOT complaining as this is income -- especially when so many out there are hurting job-wise. Looking really nice my friend!

Well Donny, like George Jetson I'm a button pusher.... Actually I'm retired form the Army National Guard and I now an Architect. So sadly yes I push buttons all day.... Working on the R/T helps me clear my mind from all the stuff at the office.

Attachments

• jetson.gif
    jetson.gif
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,013
looks like it is starting to come together nicely.

getting going.... again....

Hey gang! Slowly making a little progress as I get back into things after a bout with the flu I picked up on a business trip (yucky airplane air :sad4:). Wrapped up the welding on the front end of the R/T, including the lower radiator support. Will be moving onto scuffing up the epoxy on the interior and rest of the frame as I prep for my floor installation next. Any words to the wise on installing the floor panels?

Attachments

• 2012 02 body work 002.jpg
    2012 02 body work 002.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 965
With the work you have done so far I don't think any advise is needed.
Great job you are doing.

I agree with Superfreak! Paul, you are one of the last people that need to be told tips on how to put floors in but you do know that you can find some play by play in both mine and Props threads.

Advice? Yeah, have the local HS welding shop over for lessons on floor installation, let 'em have at it, hands on is the best way to learn! LMAO!!!!!

gettin floored

Hey all! Thanks again for the comments and your confidence. With the help of my nephew-in-law I was able to get my front floor pan set in place and screwed down. Started working on the rear seat foot well (1 new 1 old) but ran out of gas this weekend. So many holes to drill on that floor pan…. Sure did need a little persuasion to get those new sheet metal pans in place. Old stuff fell right into place like an old comfortable shoe. A few progress pics below.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 942
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 941
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 968
Looks great Sarge, I've been there before. Drilling hole after hole and what do you get for all your hard work, ya run out of gas when your almost done.LOL. Keep up the good work, there is a feeling of accomplishment when you have a solid floor again. Thanks again for the measurement help.

moving floor-ward

Hi all! Thanks for the comments and support smyythe68. Previous weekend I was able to get the front floor pan all welded in. This weekend I get the 4 spd hump and back seat foot wells in and welded. Clamped in the back seat floor pan and started the first pass of welding. Look Prop, I didn’t need to buy any additional welding clamps.:hello2: Popped my trunk floor in just to see how it fit up – easy to slide in without all the other sheet metal not in the way. Good thing I slid it in since after unwrapping it from the bubble wrap there are a few bends in it added by the shipper that were not noticeable when I accepted it.:sad8: Will have to have a conversation this week about that. A few progress pics below.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 905
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 898
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 924
Auto Transport Service
Back