• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SGTPauls 68 Charger RT project

Balls aplenty... I don't know how this guy gets his pants on in the morning.

Incredible.

LOL LOL LOL LOL !!!! Thanks Dude!! :headbang: I keep thinking taking a helicopter apart putting it back together with a COL waiting for his ride is easier than this thing. Maybe because we had manuals to lead the way?? But I’ll get to drive this one.:icon_keel:

Hey All. Thanks for the comments! Been pretty busy at the day job and on a project for my church the last couple of weeks so no time for the R/T. Got out there yesterday and built a support for my roof off the car’s frame and got rid of the one off the dolly which would have been in the way of the wheelhouses. Nothing for the roof support is welded to the car. I bolted it to the seatbelt nuts and used a thru bolt at the seat pan’s center plug hole. Had to do a little jacking to get the roof to the correct height on the right.

Found out when I started fitting my trunk floor in the right side of the car is about ¼” forward of the left side. Ugggg….. Didn’t realize this until I put the trunk floor in and saw the end of the panel sticking out beyond the rear cross member farther on one side. To fix I’ll be taking to B&B body shop to have them adjust it. I took my measurements to B&B and they said it should not be an issue. I’m thinking that the rear frame was tweaked a bit from the accident the car was in a long time ago and I never caught it. Crap!!! :angryfire: Thinking back there was a ½” steel plate at the front right leaf spring mount. B&B thinks the plate was to compensate for a frame issue to correct the wheelbase rather than fixing the frame. So next weekend I’ll put the suspension back on the car and the R/T gets to take a little road trip….

Attachments

• 2012 03 body work 017.JPG
    2012 03 body work 017.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 996
I got looking at this pic of the roof support and got worried for a moment thinking how could I have forgotten to do this myself on my GTX? Then, I looked in my pictures and see that I solved this situation by welding a 1" sq pipe off the top of the rocker panel to the roof on each side -- sufficiently holding up that roof! Had me scared for a second there old friend!

really awsome work you are doing there! i take it this is your first time going this far? if so you are doing a fantastic job!

I got looking at this pic of the roof support and got worried for a moment thinking how could I have forgotten to do this myself on my GTX? Then, I looked in my pictures and see that I solved this situation by welding a 1" sq pipe off the top of the rocker panel to the roof on each side -- sufficiently holding up that roof! Had me scared for a second there old friend!

Donny and here I thought you were doing it with magic... :thumbsup:

Hey Gang. Thanks for the comments. Busy couple of weeks at the day job, but I finally got my R/T off the dolly and put the suspension back on for its trip to the body shop for some adjusting. Looking forward to the North Oakland Mopar swap meet on Sunday! Hope to see a few of the locals there.

Attachments

• 2012 04 body work 001.jpg
    2012 04 body work 001.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 893
  • 2012 04 body work 011.jpg
    2012 04 body work 011.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 899
Good to see it on wheels. This is great news for me because the "DOG" should be painted very shortly then! Nice work Paul, see you Sunday!

Hey Gang. Thanks for the comments. Busy couple of weeks at the day job, but I finally got my R/T off the dolly and put the suspension back on for its trip to the body shop for some adjusting. Looking forward to the North Oakland Mopar swap meet on Sunday! Hope to see a few of the locals there.

So were excactly is this swap meet? Is there a web site for info?
I did a search but didn't find anything

Thanks

So were excactly is this swap meet? Is there a web site for info?
I did a search but didn't find anything

Thanks

Go to the Mopar events forum. Look for the April 29th, Centerline, MI all Mopar show & Swap thread. Hope to see you there!

Great news!

Thanks for the comments. Got the car back form B&B today. They put it on their frame rack and measured it up with the laser and found there wasn’t anything wrong. Weird! They gave me a print out showing the left and right lengths were off by 1/16” and the overall corner to corner to corner measurements were off by only 1/8”. All the height measurements were off by a 1/16” or less. I was told this is well within factory spec or maybe even closer then the factory spec. Not bad for a 1st timer at this level of tinkering. The trunk floor pan fit perfectly when I put it in for shipping to B&B as well. Still scratching my head as to why I had the illfitting trunk floor and measurement issues a month ago. :eusa_think: Must be a gremlin nearby. Oh well water under the bridge and time to start moving forward again.

nice job on getting things back together better than factory specs. That's gotta make you feel better knowing the rest will fit just as well.

I've taken on some projects, but nothing like what you are doing. Amazing!

all racked up... again

Thanks for the comments all! It was truly rewarding to find out that the car was so straight and square based on what I started with. Still busy at the day job so crawling along with progress. This weekend I was able to get the suspension back off the car (getting pretty good at this) and back on the dolly. I cheated on the dolly leveling process this time and rented a laser level. Done in 15 minutes. Will start work on the trunk floor this week day job permitting.

Attachments

• 2012 05 body work 002.jpg
    2012 05 body work 002.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 760
Don't feel bad about progress, I am in the same boat working all the time and I'm just glad my wife is ok with that. I agree you definitely have balls aplenty.

Auto Transport Service
Back