• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

She's finally all one color

tmaleck

Local time
5:21 PM
Reaction score
Three or four more block sanding passes left, but it's looking good. We'll do all the mechanical before final sanding and sealing. Then HOK Organic Green here we come!
primer_front.jpg
primer_door_left.jpg
primer_quarter_left.jpg
primer_quarter_right.jpg
primer_tail_panel.jpg
primer_right.jpg

Looking good! What’s the other car? Thought for a second there we had a similar combo.

F5C6781A-9BFC-481F-BCBE-4124DB9F4BAB.jpeg

We've been working on the mechanical a lot lately. I ended up with a QA-1 front suspension including the K-frame. Not the original intent, but that ended up being the best solution. I'm going Pro-touring anyway, so what the hell. Since the QA-1 front sway bar is bigger, I added the 7/8 ADDCO to the rear. I upgraded the rear diff to 3:23 Sure Grip. The original aluminum slots won't clear Wilwood calipers, so just rotors for now. I have the new 17 inch Cragars, but I'm keeping them in the boxes for now so they stay nice.
I have the engine on a stand in my garage, I've been finishing up the headlight and grill issues before rebuilding the motor. Hopefully it won't be too bad inside. I'll have pictures of the process once begun.
front_left_apart.jpg
QA1_K_frame_installled.jpg
rear_sway_installed.jpg
right_front_QA-1_Wilwood.jpg
brake_wilwood_right_rear.jpg

It's been a while since any update, so just a couple pics. The body is in final block. The billet hinges fixed the hood alignment issues, so the shot lines are looking good. On the mechanical side, the crank is back in the block for good. I'm running Clevite full groove bearings and ARP main studs. Even at 110 lbs torque, crank is smooth as silk. More progress to follow.
crank_in_final_torque.jpg
final_block_front.jpg

More progress on the prep work. We're getting ready to do the jambs and all the other interior paint work. We did some firewall smoothing to go with the Vintage Air kit. All the repaired metal has been seam sealed, primed and finish sanded. I'm impressed with how nice the inner fenders are condition wise. They looked pretty bad with all the previous paint and neglect. Hopefully final color starts soon. I'll do engine build updates in a separate thread.
jamb_prep_QA1_K.jpg
jamb_prep_firewall.jpg
jamb_prep_right_inner.jpg
jamb_prep_left_inner.jpg
jamb_prep_trunk.jpg

More progress as the car moves to block sanding part 2. The interior floors got cleaned and Por 15 sealed. The interior firewall is stripped and prepped for the Vintage Air system. The smoothed engine bay looks so much better in person. Seeing the battery tray out makes me consider battery in trunk, not sure on that yet. Color on the jambs and underside surfaces starts soon. I'm starting to feel this project may just get finished yet.

block2_rear_sealed.jpg
block2_door_prep.jpg
block2_toeboard_firewall.jpg
block2_floor_sealed.jpg

Wow! If your original floors were good that means your car probably had little rust anywhere else.

Auto Transport Service
Back