• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shift cable O Ring

NAPA ATP 13308 it's the same inner seal that's used on the newer transmissions. Ma did carry one part over :thumbsup:
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...p-new-residence.114133/page-34#post-911546492

Kid, the part you gave here looks like an actual seal, not an O ring. Have I been chasing ORings when an actual seal is needed? That seal looks like it would be a better fit on the adapter- assuming the size is correct? Have you used one of these seals on a cable shifter?

Kid, the part you gave here looks like an actual seal, not an O ring. Have I been chasing ORings when an actual seal is needed? That seal looks like it would be a better fit on the adapter- assuming the size is correct? Have you used one of these seals on a cable shifter?

No. You need the O-ring on the shifter cable. Have you tried your local transmission shop?

There’s no actual Transmission Shop within an hour from me in any direction..Last night I was trying to find one at some online transmission parts sites to no avail. I may just have to gob some sealant in the hole. That’s the way it was when I took it apart- and it wasn’t leaking.

Did you find the correct size o-ring? Not sure if I caught that you located the correct size. The correct ring gives a nice-snug slide into the hole with not much effort (coating the ring with trans oil). If it’s too large it will likely roll out of the groove and/or kink. I'm sure you know, wheel must set dead flat against the housing as you make the adjustment and torque it in. Check for any damage including the adjuster. With leaks here, as I’ve encountered, could be one of a few things other than the cable insert…the cable sheathing, the KD lever, oil pan (as you mentioned some ills earlier with the pan). Not to insult your know how...just some things in review..

Did you find the correct size o-ring? Not sure if I caught that you located the correct size. The correct ring gives a nice-snug slide into the hole with not much effort (coating the ring with trans oil). If it’s too large it will likely roll out of the groove and/or kink. I'm sure you know, wheel must set dead flat against the housing as you make the adjustment and torque it in. Check for any damage including the adjuster. With leaks here, as I’ve encountered, could be one of a few things other than the cable insert…the cable sheathing, the KD lever, oil pan (as you mentioned some ills earlier with the pan). Not to insult your know how...just some things in review..

The leak is definitely coming from the hole where the cable adjuster goes into the case. The cable sheathing leak has stopped since putting the shrink tube on it. That was my original leak area while there was originally no leak at the hole…. Whoever had it apart previously had put red sealant around the Oring and threaded body when they put it together. I didn’t want to resort to that so I’ve been trying to get an Oring to seal by itself - with no luck.
I’ve tried a .7x.1 Oring (.5” ID x 3/32” thickness which is .094” thick) by itself and it didn’t seal.
O.1” thickness only fills the groove about halfway, doesn’t look right to me. I tried adding a second Oring to fill the groove and that worked until the fluid level got high enough and then it poured out. When you look at a picture of a new shift cable end, the o ring fills the groove making me think it must be thicker than .1”.. like maybe a .125” thickness, but then the OD gets too big to slide into the hole…

Plumbing supply should have a large assortment of o-rings?

The ring does protrude just slightly around the shaft. Been a few years since putting in the new cable; but recall how is easily inserted in the bore with just a slight drag. Many posts here where maybe this was suggested - check with A&A transmission for the ring?

I know how PISSED ya must be...when you get those rings I'll buy one for $100...ok bad humor to brighten your day..

I just hope they are something different that will actually work. If they do I’ll sell you one for a huge discount…

Ordered some of the O rings today from Herbs Parts. If they work out I’ll let you all know. Didn’t know it before but Herb makes the various shift cables.

Ordered some of the O rings today from Herbs Parts. If they work out I’ll let you all know. Didn’t know it before but Herb makes the various shift cables.
Didn't know Herbs supplied this stuff...bought interior paint from them - might be a different Herb though. If you have the right ring should be good to go - ask me how I might be able to say...good luck.

They also go by AMS Obsolete..one of those types. Last week I ordered a set of plug wires from Mopar Mall - order turned into coming from Atlas Obsolete…

O rings came today from HerbsParts. They were real quick to get them out for me, very much appreciated! Herbs is a division of AMS Obsolete in Fairmount, GA. The rings measure right at 0.7” OD x 0.1” thick - as best I can measure rubber with calipers.
Trouble is they are about what I’ve tried before. Here is a picture of one on the cable adapter..
75A14100-E06A-4396-8657-A99A687B5E3E.jpeg

I am not sure this is going to work any better than the others I’ve tried. That groove measures 1.14” wide and really allows the rubber to spread out. I think I’m going to resort to smearing that thing up with RTV when I stick it back in tomorrow. I’m getting tired of messing with it.
I got a rough measurement of the length of my shift cable today, looks to be around 45” end to end. I think I’ve seen where this car should use a 48” cable? I’m back wondering if the cable is too short and putting too much side pressure on the cable seal…

That does NOT look right; the ring should fit snugly in the groove. Mine did.

That’s what I’m thinking too Ron. A 1/8” thick ring fits in the groove better but the OD is too big to fit into the case hole then.

The outer ID looks a wee-bit large as well; but hard to guess here. Seem to recall not much extension beyond the OD as it is a slim fit in the bore and my ring consumed the groove. Suggest putting a calipers on the groove…depth and width to locate an o-ring that mates. That ring you have won’t work IMO and trying to seal it up is a no win…I’ve had my share of ill-fitting rings. I don’t know…you could try soaking a ring for a few hours in hot trans oil to see if it expands; but doubt it’s going swell enough to fill that groove and could get fatter on the OD facing roll-out or pinching sliding it in. If you measure it post it someone, including me, might have a ring that'll match.

You mentioned running 2 o-rings and it didn't work. I'd try an O-ring a size or two smaller to stabilize the larger O-ring. Put the smaller one on first then larger one. Have you look at faucet washers to see if there is one with correct OD and then punch center to fit tight on ID. Don't know if they're flexible enough to put on cable?

Auto Transport Service
Back