• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shift cable O Ring

O rings came today from HerbsParts. They were real quick to get them out for me, very much appreciated! Herbs is a division of AMS Obsolete in Fairmount, GA. The rings measure right at 0.7” OD x 0.1” thick - as best I can measure rubber with calipers.
Trouble is they are about what I’ve tried before. Here is a picture of one on the cable adapter..
View attachment 1240917
I am not sure this is going to work any better than the others I’ve tried. That groove measures 1.14” wide and really allows the rubber to spread out. I think I’m going to resort to smearing that thing up with RTV when I stick it back in tomorrow. I’m getting tired of messing with it.
I got a rough measurement of the length of my shift cable today, looks to be around 45” end to end. I think I’ve seen where this car should use a 48” cable? I’m back wondering if the cable is too short and putting too much side pressure on the cable seal…

I'd give it a try. Here's mine. I turned your picture to compare.
Screenshot_20220216-134633_Gallery.jpg

75A14100-E06A-4396-8657-A99A687B5E3E.jpeg

Yours looks like it fills the groove a bit better. I just put on one I found that is 1.25” thick and the fit looks more like yours. Had to stretch it some to go on but the installed OD is about .025” more than the correct and feels more snug in the hole.

Sorry to say, I’m out of the O-ring seal kit business. I engineered my kit simply out of need. O-rings can be had fairly easily but no one had the square profile speedo gear to cable seal so I figured that one out. Sold 50 sets easily here and on FB Groups. Lots of interest led me to request for quote the speedo gear to cable seal. The supplier’s quote is 5X the price of the first 50 and now at a minimum buy of 200 pieces. Last sets sold out at $30/set including lower-48 shipping. I can’t see being able to sell 200 sets at $40/set.

I found an O ring that was a out .125” thick and had an installed OD of .725”. It’s been in about a week now and not leaking.

I found an O ring that was a out .125” thick and had an installed OD of .725”. It’s been in about a week now and not leaking.
This sounds like a reason to have a celebration!

This sounds like a reason to have a celebration!
It will be - if it holds… My last try stayed dry for a couple of weeks before it started leaking like crazy. This time I put all the fluid back in but haven’t started the car up yet to fill the converter. Figured I’d give it a worse case trial…

I have been messing with a buddys pushbutton trans leak at the park cable, still leaks. I think the issue stems from the drain back from convertor ect filling up the lower case. Sonnax has a valve that goes in the pressure controll circuit in valvebody. Lube regulated pressure controll valve P# 22771A-10k. This is next on my list.

I have been messing with a buddys pushbutton trans leak at the park cable, still leaks. I think the issue stems from the drain back from convertor ect filling up the lower case. Sonnax has a valve that goes in the pressure controll circuit in valvebody. Lube regulated pressure controll valve P# 22771A-10k. This is next on my list.

I’ll be real interested in how that works out? I think the drain back is a big part of all leaks on a 727. Filling that bottom end up with fluid really puts the seals to the test..

I’ll be real interested in how that works out? I think the drain back is a big part of all leaks on a 727. Filling that bottom end up with fluid really puts the seals to the test..
Go to the Sonnex site good description how it works.

Auto Transport Service
Back