• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

shift points

This is not clear for me. Do you have 6 bbl carbs and factory original 6 bbl carb linkage? Or do you have stock 4 bbl linkage?

The 4bbl linkage will not work on the 6bbl without some modifications.
This is likely the case. I cannot speak to the origin of the linkage. It was on the car when I bought it. Pics of the linkage I have are in post 15.

So I spent a lot of time last night researching the kickdown lever. The one that is on my car know is actually for a small block. I have ordered the correct one. That should solve the issus.

So u have the long 1 on it? The short 1 will help a lot because of the shorter throw. Kim
The issue with the part is the lever on top of the motor, not on the trans.

This is the lever I have:

lever 1.JPG

This is the correct lever:

lever 2.JPG

Those both work the exact same and are the same. But ur right it is the wrong 1 for ur car. The lever on the trans is the short 1 then? What year is ur car? Kim

The issue with the part is the lever on top of the motor, not on the trans.

This is the lever I have:

View attachment 866181

This is the correct lever:

View attachment 866180
Its called a bell crank. And the new or "correct" bell crack will not fix your problem. Because your two rods are the wrong lengths, the new bell crank will still have the over center issue you currently have. Although the two bell cranks look different, they look like they have the same throw and orientation.

Last edited:
So I received the new bell crank that I ordered that appeared to be correct for big blocks. The arm with the pin on it is about 1/4" longer than the small block version. This made all the difference. I did need to do a little more adjusting of the rods, but I am now getting full throw of the kick down lever from idle to full throttle.

So I received the new bell crank that I ordered that appeared to be correct for big blocks. The arm with the pin on it is about 1/4" longer than the small block version. This made all the difference. I did need to do a little more adjusting of the rods, but I am now getting full throw of the kick down lever from idle to full throttle.
Nice! Thanks for the follow-up.

Hooray!!!!!!!!!!
Mike

Good to hear

Auto Transport Service
Back