• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping is killing us

VFilms

Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
Just went to order a couple small items from a well known vendor - maybe 2 lbs max in a small box. Parts totaled $35. Shipping - UPS ground, 1 week delivery - was $36.
While I understand that fuel prices are up, I'm not sure that's what's causing these insane shipping prices. I'm wondering if some of these distributors are lowering their prices and making it up on shipping.

UPS used to be reasonable but not anymore although their shipping seems to have less damage than Fed Ex.
In some cases you have to consider getting stuff locally even if their normal price is a bit higher.
EVERYTHING is going UP!

I have thought that for quite a while. I just sent a 30lb car wheel from Va. to Illinois. Took I believe about 4 days. Shipping was under $28, and a box at Fedex was about $3.50. So $36 for 2lbs? I agree that some companies are raping people on shipping charges!

Yep it's nuts! 2.2 lb box I'm sending Purolator, 300 miles straight up hwy 11 to Cochrane. $72 ! $7.92 fuel surcharge on a $55 shipment. Seriously, how much of the $55 original price was fuel to start with?
cggnbcleanupmay2021 059.JPG
cggnbcleanupmay2021 060.JPG

Generally shipping is the main reason for my lost sales. Rates are through the roof. I stopped using UPS years ago, they suck. I'm fearing that I might quit business because of shipping cost.

All shipping costs have skyrocketed since the Covid started and the service has got worse.
Really bothers me when companies charge exorbitant prices for "handling" fees. Like adding $10 to the order for putting items in a flat rate box. The box costs them nothing.

We just got s shipment of equipment via ABF from our supplier & what normally is about $750.00 - $800.00 just cost us $1,088.00 last week.

Ups charged us a additional 100 bucks a box because of its large size. Rather then 850 for 6 it was 1450.:soapbox:
40 lb boxes...:eek:

Alot of deals are killed due to the high cost of shipping. Living out in the country doesn't help. Sometimes I have to just bite the bullet and pay! I've met up with some seller's to buy items due to the sky high cost of shipping! 440'

main reason for my lost sales.
I have stopped selling for the same reason.But if you guys can handle shipping and it's something you really need(WTB) then I'll sell.
Right now I just started a 2 year plan to sell off all the parts,cars and tools.Ain't gonna build no more cars.
Going to USPS today to ship a intake,my guess is at least $50 from Nevada to California.

This is a prime example of what I am talking about. Same item from PartsGeek. The one on EBay says FREE SHIPPING and is $35.95. The one on the Parts Geek website is $34.18 - $14.23 for the part and $19.95 for shipping. EBay FREE SHIPPING my ***.
I have no problem with companies making a profit. I have a problem with companies thinking we are stupid.
Anybody got a fuel tank strap and J bolt for a '66 Belvedere, I'd rather give you the money.

strap.jpg strap2.jpg

It is crazy. Shipping was the reason I picked a plating shop within a half days drive for me. Can’t imagine the cost of shipping all that stuff 2 ways. I forgot to include some bucket seat side trim so at the plating companies suggestion I put the slender edge trim in an 18” piece of 2” PVC to ship it in and save an all-day drive. Got charged an extra $20 special handling fee for a total of around $42 to ship. I could have driven it over for less gas than that. She said the extra handling was because it would not ride on a conveyor belt without rolling off and would have to be handled separately. I asked, what would happen if I had put the tube in a rectangular box. She said I would have saved $20. Live and learn.

Although they are not always the cheapest price and I have a lengthy list on back order, I’ve been buying what I can through Classic to take advantage of their free shipping specials.

Yet the shipping companies aren't paying their driver any more. I know a FedEx driver and he only makes $180/day (no taxes or deductions removed). Truck and fuel provided. He does about 50-60 deliveries a day.

Generally shipping is the main reason for my lost sales. Rates are through the roof. I stopped using UPS years ago, they suck. I'm fearing that I might quit business because of shipping cost.

I have purchased from you in the past, a couple pairs of lower control arms that i rebuild, for sale, to help out with this old mans social security check during the month.
You are absolutely correct in how shipping costs are the deal breaker in trying to sell auto parts.
I'm weaning myself away from trying to sell parts anymore, on the web sites.
It's just been too damm hard in trying to find buyers for things, and then the shipping.
Two more pairs of lower control arms to sell, then i'm done, out of the business.

USPS flat rate boxes aren't to bad.Shipped 4 aluminum wheels 23 lbs each Ct to Ohio $140.

You have to wonder how Amazon can ship free overnight a printer ink cartridge for $14 and make a profit. They have perfected the art of logistics.
My 4 post lift shipped ABF Minnesota to Tucson for $380 for 2044 pounds. I thought that was reasonable.
I'm slowing down on fixing radios as the shipping both ways is triple the repair costs. It seems FedEx and UPS are the guys jacking up the rates.

While Wuhan is the stated cause for a lot of things these days, make absolutely no mistake that companies/corporations are taking FULL advantage of the situation and will continue to do so until something forces them to stop or change their business. With Wuhan declining it will/is now the pipeline hack/lack of fuel, next it will be summer price rise, etc.

BTW the 4 post lift freight was $380 from Minnesota to Tucson. ABF wanted $425 to deliver from the Tucson freight terminal to my house 17 miles away.

I’m thinking about cleaning out my service van and doing deliveries.

Auto Transport Service
Back