• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping is killing us

I have purchased from you in the past, a couple pairs of lower control arms that i rebuild, for sale, to help out with this old mans social security check during the month.
You are absolutely correct in how shipping costs are the deal breaker in trying to sell auto parts.
I'm weaning myself away from trying to sell parts anymore, on the web sites.
It's just been too damm hard in trying to find buyers for things, and then the shipping.
Two more pairs of lower control arms to sell, then i'm done, out of the business.
I'm sorry to hear that. You always have nice stuff.

It is a perfect storm. Of higher fuel costs along with driver shortage. The shortage they have been projecting for years. Covid put that into hyperdrive. I'm guessing things will stabilize by fall. But of course once the prices are there? "Stabilize" doesn’t mean dramatic drop in price.

I'm thinking of retiring early from the IT field? Medium duty truck driving and independent freight? Might be easier and a viable start up in these conditions? Especially if one can get an inside track to electric vehicle options? Hell, there would be plenty of companies that will only use you because of that fact?

Just thinking out loud here.

moparmarks, Yes. Just talked to Phil.It is the only date available the track has for this year.
If not he has to wait till 2022.

I'm at the point where if I order from Summit, I'll order and then DRIVE to their store in TX to get it. I waited nearly three weeks for two wheels from them to be shipped 240 miles to me. Screw that! If the vendor or seller is within 300 miles of me, I'll happily drive to them and get the part. I did that on a fuel tank for my '69 Dodge D300. Four and half hours there, 30 minutes chatting trucks, four and a half hours home. At 43 mpg, I might've spent $40.00 on fuel, versus the $165.00 I've had to spend on shipping...and the two weeks of waiting.

Auto Transport Service
Back