• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping is killing us

Back to swap meets now that covid restrictions are eased.
Las Vegas Muscle Cars at the Strip date is Sept 10th and 11th.Looks like that's where I'll be .

I have been shipping a lot of stuff recently, mostly ammo I am selling for my father in law. I have a UPS account and average charge is about $22 depending on where it is going and how heavy. UPS now has simple rate (same as usps flat rate) that is a good option for the heavier orders.

I have had a few people gripe at the shipping but I give them the package size, weight, and my zip code and tell them to find a cheaper price to ship and I'll use. None have so far.

Shipping FROM the states to other countries has always been expensive too....even before COVID. I bought some car parts from the US....and the guy charged me cost price. I could have sent them back the other way to him for less than half the money!! Makes a change though....nearly everything else is more expensive here compared to there!!!

You have to wonder how Amazon can ship free overnight a printer ink cartridge for $14 and make a profit. They have perfected the art of logistics.
My 4 post lift shipped ABF Minnesota to Tucson for $380 for 2044 pounds. I thought that was reasonable.
I'm slowing down on fixing radios as the shipping both ways is triple the repair costs. It seems FedEx and UPS are the guys jacking up the rates.

They don’t ship for free. The cartridge probably cost 2 dollars and the rest is mark up and shipping. Somebody pays, and it’s usually not the vendor.

Imagine getting fucked over for $15 shipping for a $1.98 screw? Not my story, but a true one!

You have to wonder how Amazon can ship free overnight a printer ink cartridge for $14 and make a profit. They have perfected the art of logistics.
My 4 post lift shipped ABF Minnesota to Tucson for $380 for 2044 pounds. I thought that was reasonable.
I'm slowing down on fixing radios as the shipping both ways is triple the repair costs. It seems FedEx and UPS are the guys jacking up the rates.
Well - how does the Amazon CEO buy a half a billion $ yacht...and another yacht to have a heli-pad? Kind of the same deal that killed off the mom & pop shops - volume...

See? There ya go!

this was a ad that had the items for sale. But no price indicated for shipping till after purchase of 1 or 10 of the same item. Then the shipping amount was created. So. Im guessing the cash grab is covering other fees as there monthly billings come in. So there mini profit is not being gouged.

Shipping into Canada is even worse. UPS and Fedex charge a brokerage fee for transferring a package across the border. Plus, they collect the government fees. I just bought a new 95 amp. Powermaster alternator from Roseville Moparts for $145 US. By the time I paid shipping, exchange on Canadian funds, brokerage, and Can. taxes, I have about $280 Can. into it.

Shipping into Canada is even worse. UPS and Fedex charge a brokerage fee for transferring a package across the border. Plus, they collect the government fees. I just bought a new 95 amp. Powermaster alternator from Roseville Moparts for $145 US. By the time I paid shipping, exchange on Canadian funds, brokerage, and Can. taxes, I have about $280 Can. into it.
Ups , fed x have a broker fee for you . They are the expensive ways to ship , I used Fedx for a harp guitar. Oversized package. 400uS to ship. 2 solid weeks for delivery. It was like watching a mouse going through a maze on tracking 90uS for broker fees. Then the taxes are applied on the broker and canadian coverted money spent. I accepted that. Just knowing that usps could not ship. But I would not let UPS do the job after the shotty shipping they did many years ago for me. Otherwize if the package was smaller USPS all the way They have a flat brkoer fee into Canada. Its not inflated as the UPS Fed X companies do. These items are all processed the same way at there hubs. And distributed the same way in there trucks.

yep been going on for 10+ years
not new

just NOT new, just new excuse/s to charge more

Smiley I've been saying that for 10 damn years Randy Quaid Independence day.png

I was selling a 68 RR black decore bench seat
in near perfect org. condition
it had all the gadgets, seat belt attachments & tracks included
I had it sold several times & shipping costs always killed the deal
even me offering & paying 1/2
it was like $600 to ship from Ca. Sierras to Mississippi ranch land
(people are cheapskates sometimes too, even at 1/2 the shipping
& $250 it'd been a great deal, the tracks lone I've seen listed for more, even here
)
Anyway;
I had it already crated/palleted up & in a sealed cardboard box,
#110 lbs IIRC
(Even Fastenal was out of this world)
both are/were rural locations, door to door, with a liftgate
I had to price the Near Perfect 68 RR seat at $250
(25% of it's actual value, let alone all the stuff to mount it)
because shipping ate up all the "actual value"
I instead, sold it to a Member for $250 from NorCal somewhere
Sacramento or Bay (?)
he came & picked it up, he got a storming deal
& he was happy
& I was happy to get the room back...
I fired my car up for his son too...
good deal for him :poke:

I get 99% of my stuff from Summit Racing, shipped free
& I buy over $99 worth almost all the time, get it in 2 days usually
no shipping charge unless it's something really big, then it's a nominal charge

I know that won't work for old parts flippers
but it works for most the stuff I buy

Last edited:
Unless the item is huge, and size( l x w x h) makes a HUGE difference as well. Shipping sounds like a potential profit center for the vendor. A tank strap is fairly large in dimensional size and will get hammered on rates is my guess.

There are a bunch of alternative available that are flat rate or very reasonable including via UPS.

I have had a few people gripe at the shipping but I give them the package size, weight, and my zip code and tell them to find a cheaper price to ship and I'll use. None have so far.

That's always a fun one. I had one person complain because they found shipping that was $2 less than the company I use... Oakey Dokey!

I noticed this starting about 10 years ago. It has effectively killed the hobby for me. I haven't built a car for myself for 6 years now. I used to build one every year. I have built cars for other people but it pizzez me off too much to pay it myself. I also have a bunch of parts sitting idle too in addition to a semi truck load of parts I've thrown away. It sucks.

It really started years ago when diesel hit 5.00 gal. Shipping prices shot right up and when diesel fell to 2.00 gal the shipping prices stayed high.

I've got parts and a complete rolling
chassis I'm trying to sell from a dwindling
pool. These parts are hard to come by,
and shipping costs have killed at least
3 different opportunities to sell.
Inflation, every thing you plan on
purchasing, has gone up in price, and it's
fixin' to get a lot worse. Thank the
imposter in the White House.....
Dig in fellers, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

Auto Transport Service
Back