• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

shipwrecks

MV Rena - 2011 in New Zealand
Disaster2011.MV_Rena79.jpg

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/culture/shipping-containers/rena-disaster

When I live in Anchorage
I use to read/hear about a bunch in the North Pacific
& especially more so the Bearing Sea, commercial fishing ships
at-least 1 to 2 min. a year usually more...

Usually high death tolls, cold *** waters,
unless the US Coast Guard gets there quickly
the 5th Military branch, mainly/mostly forgotten force...

Now I live in the sticks, mainly around lakes & streams,
I hear about a canoe or a kayak overturning now & then
up at Pinecrest/Strawberry, Beardsley or Dardanelle...

My ol' dad tried to sink the boat up at Beardsley this spring
a 1977 Glasspar Runabout/bow rider Tri-Hull
50 hp Merc. OB, he was taking a couple of young ladies,
family friends fishing, 1st no drain plug before he launched it
& knocked a chunk off the prop, one lady swam back to shore,
got help, while the others bailed...
I just pretty much restored all the critical working
& prop, mechanical, fuel lines/tanks & Cables, battery & various parts etc.
on the boat too...

Does that count, it's not a ship ?:lol:

Boat = Break Out Another Thousand:rofl:

As promised on page 1, here is an impressive baro gradient which I saved on a very windy day.
It is not the storm that sunk the Edmond Fitzgerald, of course.
(The Three Sisters wave).
If you are interested you can look this storm up as well.
Date is on it.

"The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called 'gitche gumee'
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy..."

barometricpressure.png

The Andrea Doria at speed. And after a collision in 1956. How she sits now 220 feet down...look at all the fishing nets that have snagged over the years.
C9_Andrea_Doria.jpg

andrea-doria.jpg

andrea_doria_wreck_by_lusitania25-d92sejl.jpg

Unfortunately, she was also carrying the Chrysler Norseman concept car, it never arrived on it's trip from Italy to New York. Hemi powered and fully functional, this aluminum four seater fastback would have been unveiled at the 1957 auto show but instead, very few people ever got a look at it.
1956_chrysler_norseman_concept_100011476_l.jpg

SS Calvin Coolidge, an ocean liner-turned-navy transport in WWII, hit a mine coming into Espiritu Santu in the south pacific. It was right near the shore( thank goodness, because my Gramps was on that ship and if they were out in the ocean farther I might not be here today LOL!) But it has been a well-preserved and most dived shipwreck in the world...
Coolidge-8.jpg
376FF9F400000578-0-image-a-149_1471716980936.jpg
water_act2.jpg
Diving-President-Coolidge-Vanuatu-Holiday.jpg

Shipwrecks have always grabbed my attention. Not sure why but it could be just because they are big.:)

In my working career, I was always drawn to big and fascinating engineering efforts and fails.

There is a full-length documentary that I have seen several times.
--Azorian The Raising of K 129.-- It is truly amazing what was done by any measure we have today to try to pick up a sunken Russian sub in the cold war era without being detected for doing so.

Last edited:
One of my favorite songs. Loved to plat that on my acoustic 12 string with a capo.

Look it up if you are not familiar with it.
I think about every fall.
I'll post a wind gradient later.

Hilma-Hooker-1.jpg
Dove on this ship the "Hilma Hooker" in the waters off the island of Bonaire in the Netherlands Antilles. Back in 2007.easy dive, snorkel out about 100 yards to the mooring buoy and drop down .waters there are 100' + visibility and 82 degrees. she lays on her starboard side on the bottom at 100'. The story goes,
In the summer of 1984, the Hilma Hooker had engine problems at sea and was towed to the port of Kralendijk, Bonaire. It was already under surveillance by drug enforcement agencies. Docked at the Town Pier, local authorities boarded the ship for an inspection when her captain was unable to produce any of the requisite registration papers. A false bulkhead was discovered, and held within was 25,000 lb (11,000 kg) of marajuana. The Hilma Hooker and her crew were subsequently detained while the local authorities on Bonaire searched for the vessel's owners, who were never found.

The ship languished under detention as evidence for many months and through general neglect of her hull she began to take on considerable amounts of water. It was feared that she would sink at the main dock on the island and disrupt maritime traffic. After many months of being tied to the pier and pumped of water, on September 7, 1984 the Hooker was towed to an anchorage. As the days passed, a slight list became noticeable. The list was even more obvious one morning. The owner was still not coming forward to claim the ship and maintain it so the many leaks added up until on the morning of September 12, 1984 the Hilma Hooker began taking in water through her lower portholes. At 9:08 am she rolled over on her starboard side and, in the next two minutes, disappeared.
Hilma-Hooker2.jpg
4350544820_5dc106339c.jpg
2013_06_Hilma-Hooker_aprile1.jpg

Yep. I've been doing it for about 6 years now. Got into it after my shop closed and was out of work for 7 months. It filled the void and got me out of the house on days I wasn't searching for a job.

I go out in the woods locating old cellar holes of houses from the 1700's & 1800's. Lots of people do it so its very hard to not find a site where someone hasn't already been there. I've never found anything valuable but I love finding coins, button and other relic's. Also I love the peace & quiet of the woods.

Do you tect?

Do you do metal detecting?

Yep. I've been doing it for about 6 years now. Got into it after my shop closed and was out of work for 7 months. It filled the void and got me out of the house on days I wasn't searching for a job.

I go out in the woods locating old cellar holes of houses from the 1700's & 1800's. Lots of people do it so its very hard to not find a site where someone hasn't already been there. I've never found anything valuable but I love finding coins, button and other relic's. Also I love the peace & quiet of the woods.

Do you tect?
I'm about to upgrade to a waterproof model so I can search the creeks around here, but I'm just getting into it and im loving it. I haven't found anything awesome yet but there are a few local sites here that offer a lot of old history that I'm excited about. Can't wait to get out there

Love this thread. Built Titanic and other ship models as a kid. Keep the pictures coming. I will look up that documentary. Include dates with pic if you know it.

as requested more pics :)
the infamous "oyster bank " a true ships graveyard
ELEANOR%20LANCASTER%20FIG_%206.jpg

ADOLPHE%20SHIPWRECK%20FIG_%202.jpg

r1330181_18493153.jpg

6906450207_ca14b14813_b.jpg

shipwreck.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back