• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Short Water Pump for 383?

BluePolara

Local time
12:48 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some help finding a water pump solution for my 64 Polara. Last summer the radiator blew so I ordered a Champion radiator. Got it all installed and realized my mechanical fan wouldn't fit anymore. So I ordered an electric fan + shroud from Champion as well and now can't get that in there either. The shroud makes it but the fan is juuust big enough to not, even though from what the salesman had told me I thought everything would fit. So I'm looking into getting a different water pump now, since that's what's hanging me up. The pump I have is the 3 1/16" hub height. I'm not seeing anything shorter than that online. I looked into electric water pumps as well, but those seem to be a little bigger than the one I already have. Anyone else ran into this issue before, or have knowledge of a shorter water pump? I can post pics later if needed. Thanks guys.

Just get the pump milled down.

But seriously, welcome to the pre 66 cooling system international fitment issue club.:bday:

If you had the correct rad and the correct fan, you wouldn't be looking for a water pump that doesn't exist.
Now you're on the road to "custom parts manufacturing".
Most people like myself have put the electric fans in the front. I race my 64 only, so I'm not concerned. But the fans on the front for a street car is not great.

From personal experience, your mistake was getting a Champion radiator. You ordered a radiator that doesn't fit, and then they sold you an electric setup that doesn't fit. And then you're going to mill your pump, or buy an electric pump, and then, and then.... all for a radiator that doesn't fit.

Something does not sound right. If it does not fit with a mechanical fan it must be wrong for the car. Shorten the pump if it was possible than what are you going to do for pulleys?

Sometimes you have to install the shroud and fan together, straight down. The Hayden stubby fan clutch SUCKS to install but it does offer the additional clearance that can make the difference.

Sometimes you have to install the shroud and fan together, straight down. The Hayden stubby fan clutch SUCKS to install but it does offer the additional clearance that can make the difference.
It works for me....and yes, it is a nightmare to install, but you get extra clearance. :thumbsup:

Big block in a 65 dart was tight.. Found a shim for a flex fan. Not a fan of flex fans...but it works. Maybe would be a possibility in a early B...dunno. It measures 2.625" from front of water pump to radiator.

20230301_152733.jpg

Last edited:
But seriously, welcome to the pre 66 cooling system international fitment issue club.:bday:

If you had the correct rad and the correct fan, you wouldn't be looking for a water pump that doesn't exist.
Now you're on the road to "custom parts manufacturing".
Most people like myself have put the electric fans in the front. I race my 64 only, so I'm not concerned. But the fans on the front for a street car is not great.
Lol, to be honest pre 66 has been nothing but hell for me. Still love my car though. Yeah, I daily drive it (when it's running at least), so I'd like to avoid fans in front if possible.

From personal experience, your mistake was getting a Champion radiator. You ordered a radiator that doesn't fit, and then they sold you an electric setup that doesn't fit. And then you're going to mill your pump, or buy an electric pump, and then, and then.... all for a radiator that doesn't fit.
You say personal experience... just curious, what radiator would you have recommended?

I remember reading about someone installing a 68-70 k member. I guess it moves the engine rearward. But that opens up another can of worms. I think id be finding a new radiator

As for everyone else's responses, the Shorty might have worked, but the AC compressor is in the way. And I was already running a flex fan. Guess I could build some brackets to move the compressor and then revaluate... It's not too big a deal if I end up having to save the electric fan for another build. Think I need to strategize again. Thanks for the responses so far gentlemen.

As for everyone else's responses, the Shorty might have worked, but the AC compressor is in the way. And I was already running a flex fan. Guess I could build some brackets to move the compressor and then revaluate... It's not too big a deal if I end up having to save the electric fan for another build. Think I need to strategize again. Thanks for the responses so far gentlemen.
Post some pictures of what you have and maybe someone will have an idea.

You say personal experience... just curious, what radiator would you have recommended?
My understanding is that core width is more important than depth.
Having more of the radiator exposed to the air flow means a greater amount of heat rejection. With this in mind, a 2 row aluminum radiator of 26" width should theoretically be more than adequate. I bought mine from ECP, Speedcooling, ask for Frank: 773 599 3067.

Interesting. I have a 440 in my '64 Dodge. Clutch fan, shroud and factory correct radiator with a 1/2" to spare from the clutch face.

As for everyone else's responses, the Shorty might have worked,
No, a shorty wouldn't work, even if there was such a thing in a Mopar.
Do I smell a bit of a chevyish background lol?
:rofl:

My 64 Sport Fury with a 361 has a Champion radiator, no shroud and a flex fan w/spacer and the fit was good and the cooling is consistent around 185 degrees. My Charger also has a Champion radiator w/ factory shroud and flex fan and is also very consistent.

1E2033F1-7010-4665-8D0D-274EF9D84834.jpeg

8B9DC004-64DB-4030-9839-7AA941F01B6F.jpeg

A0CAEB3B-6572-4017-922E-6B622480B2D3.jpeg

7241D464-8B64-4028-A53C-E16A3C58206E.jpeg

25CB9DBE-F4A0-4E19-9BCF-153FBBDF9A6A.jpeg

OP should post pictures!!! might be simple as a thinner fan spacer.

Had parents take pictures since I won't be back home until Friday. This is what I'm working with. If anyone wants to see more just ask.
Snapchat-698121049.jpg
Snapchat-1504414784.jpg
Snapchat-1198857423.jpg
Snapchat-1769628897.jpg
Snapchat-228272846.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back