• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I paint (clear) or do something else with aluminum heads?

Don Frelier

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:13 PM
Reaction score
I have a set of Edelbrock E-Street Heads I bolted on my 383.
They look like new now but I'm sure eventually they will become chalky looking.
Suggestions?
Mlj9zjm598q0miBK1hCYf9M2lhAfOPfsnQCThW3vPk6clmMdiRjVor_J_mNrukXEjkWg9cc=w1154-h865-no?authuser=0.jpg

I primed my aluminum heads with self-etching primer and painted them with the engine. 2,000 miles this year and still look as when I painted them.

I primed my aluminum heads with self-etching primer and painted them with the engine. 2,000 miles this year and still look as when I painted them.
I'm not adverse to painting them engine color, just afraid if the paint does not adhere in a few years it would really look crappy.

I'm not adverse to painting them engine color, just afraid if the paint does not adhere in a few years it would really look crappy.
Scuff a little before using the etching primer, then paint. They should hold up good.

This intake is painted with Rustoleum High Heat engine paint.
Looks just like natural aluminum. This is when it was fresh but is going on 5 years now.
Holding up very well. Also fuel resistant.

I did the same with my Hemi intake.
IMG_2801.jpg

Either way, good advice here. Engine color, or aluminum color. Your choice. But paint it. The natural look of the aluminum will become crappy looking after awhile. I know, because I made that mistake in the past.

I coated my entire engine with Ever Brite. Shark Hide is another product designed to stop corrosion.
Mike
IMG_1561.JPG

I don't do a ton of buffing / polishing here but have been VERY happy with the results and lifelong protection of MC-160, one of many clear liquid ceramic coatings available from Cerakote (https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerakote-coating?series=cera_clear). Though available in larger quantities, a 4 oz. "tester" bottle is more than enough -- a little bit goes a long way, and you can even pour the leftovers back into the bottle. All you need is an HVLP gun with a .08 mm tip ($18 on ebay). There are different formulations for different metals, shiny or matte finishes, air cure vs. oven cure, etc. I used to use clear powder but am so impressed with the clear ceramics I rarely even use clear powder anymore.

It's the final coat on this intake and these restored Commando valve cover fins for the famous GoldFish (read as no future polishing or touch ups EVER) while providing enhanced chemical / UV protection and increased durability.
IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG

Goldfish Commandos 2.jpg

Not a big fan of painting aluminum, I like the raw aluminum look! Cerakote would be my recommendation. 440'

I like a little contrast, might have to look into this Cerakote.

Mine is like 493 Mike's. I have Shark Hide to use but I may get ahold of some direct to metal clear, use a gun to spray, thats a matte finish. I want the cast aluminum finish showing but protected and have the ability to clean it off without ruining the coating. Some coatings don't put up with engine cleaners very well or heat for that matter.

4B9E73E8-8754-4403-A914-55002A42E496.jpeg

My vote is scuff them up a bit, self etching primer and then engine color. I did on my 383 build and yes it had Aluminum heads, intake, and H2O pump housing. Still looks as it did back then...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Last edited:
Since you asked

I like the natural aluminum look
I've left all my aluminum heads natural (many are Edlebrocks too)
most all my intakes, water pump housing, rad. or valve covers
have been too
not much oxidation, if at all, I'm in a decent climate
& we do actually get all 4 seasons up here, with no salt on the roads
going on 15+ years now
(no leaks helps)
discloser;
I don't tend to drive my hotrods in the snow or rain that much
& it's always in the garage when not out being driven
68 RR #27 479ci-6bbl #6 AN spacers front.JPG

one of my pet peeves is painting trick aluminum parts
transmissions, water-pumps, radiators, heads, intakes, valve-covers
I like the natural/mechanical as cast look of the aluminum, or polished
partially why I purchased them
as long as they don't look like crap to begin with
(sorry to anyone concerned, it's just my personal preferences)
68 RR Edelbrock polished slots Wheels spinner cover.JPG

BUT;
I think powder coating will last a lot longer
if you want color, do as @CudaChick1968 says

but painting the heads, engine color if properly prepped is OK too
especially if you want to appear more stock looking

it's really a personal choice
to each their own choice/style

good luck

Either way, good advice here. Engine color, or aluminum color. Your choice. But paint it. The natural look of the aluminum will become crappy looking after awhile. I know, because I made that mistake in the past.
I agree........Here is what my 6.1 looked like when it came out of a 06 SRT8 with 34K miles on it. Bare aluminum likes to get chalky and don't clean up very well.

100_6459.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back