• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your race trailers

combatsp

Local time
11:24 AM
Reaction score
I need to buy a trailer to take my car to the track. What kind of trailers are you guys using? Please give details and pictures. Also tell me what you like best and/or what you feel you should have gotten but didn't. Any information and advise will help. Thanks. pictures please.

Enclosed, open, money no object and want the best?

Enclosed, open, money no object and want the best?

Money is always an object for me. lol. I am looking for people's experiences. I do not want to buy and open trailer and regret not getting an enclosed trailer. I do not want to buy an enclosed trailer and feel that it was overkill. What options do people have ie. generators, lights, winches, open center, wood, steel, length etc. Looking for positive and negative experiences I can draw on to make my decision.

It kind of depends on what kind & size of truck you have, to tow what size of trailer, is a limiting factor for sure... Steel is cheaper than aluminum, but much heavier, aluminum is much lighter, better towing & fuel economy, but can bend or crack easier & is more expensive... I've had from a $1500 Big Tex 16' open trailer w/2x12 wood planks & dual axles, to a $100k fully outfitted 45' 2 car enclosed all aluminum Featherlite hauler/trailer w/lounge kitchenette & restroom/shower, some many others in between, enclosed & open... I personally think an enclosed trailer is the best way to go, it gives you added security, storage & weather protection over an open trailer, but more money, higher registration & insurance costs, more difficult to store & back in tight spots, but you can keep a car in it when needed & save some room in the garage... Air ride is always nice, A winch is always nice, A shade canopy is always nice, 12vt lighting at a minimum, A/C &/or a heater is always nice, if your going to dry camp or need to have any stuff like a refrigerator, microwave, battery charger & lights, etc., a adequate wattage generator is a must, fuel storage, batteries for in the pits 12vt lighting, storage space is always an issue with trailers, some nice aluminum boxes for open trailer or nice cabinets & shelfs, even a bench, for an enclosed trailer, a steel or aluminum floor is better than a wood floor & "can be" lighter too boot, a way to tie stuff down, with like, load bars, tie downs or D-Rings, hooks, ropes, bungee cords, ratchet & thumb straps etc., it's nice to have an air conditioned lounge/living, bathroom/shower & kitchenette areas, but you are getting into a totally different class of trailer & much higher cost & weight... Dual axles w/electric &/or hydraulic trailer brakes are a must at a minimum, a good quality hitch with the proper rating is an absolute must, a 5th wheel will tow & back up the best, but it take away the truck bed storage too, a goos-neck is the next best for towing, then a tag trailer last, get a trailer 4-6ft longer than what you need, the extra room will be well worth it, good ramps &/or dovetail deck is always nice, dovetail deck can create dragging issues in off camber or steep driveways roads etc... Trailers age like dogs 7yrs to 1, beware of buying used trailers, look for suspension issues & cracked frames, wiring issues... Trailers are kind of "you get what you pay for & no more", don't go cheap, you will regret it in the long run, but trailers depreciate in value very quickly, you will have a hard time getting your money back if your not satisfied, so plan on keeping it for a long time, buy something a little bigger than what you think you need, so you can grow into it, instead of growing out of it... Enough truck, power/torque, brakes & towing capacity,to haul what ever trailer you choose... Sorry no photos

mostly depends on what you are trailering. if its a high dollar car, i wouldnt be pulling with a open trailer.
also depends on what vehicle you have to tow with also.weight means alot.

heres mine. i pull it with a 3500 duramax diesel

Attachments

• T NT 5.7.11 LEBANON 588 DODGE 020.jpg
    T NT 5.7.11 LEBANON 588 DODGE 020.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 256
  • STORM TRAILER INSIDE.OUTSIDE PICS 004.jpg
    STORM TRAILER INSIDE.OUTSIDE PICS 004.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 238
  • STORM TRAILER INSIDE.OUTSIDE PICS 013.jpg
    STORM TRAILER INSIDE.OUTSIDE PICS 013.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 243
I 100% agree with Budnicks. What do you have for a tow rig? I cant afford a 50K 1 ton truck so I had to stay with a $1600 18 foot dovetail open trailer wood deck for my 68 R/T.
I tow with a 99 1500 xcab Ram 5.9ltr with 128,000 miles on it. I try and load as much as I can on the trailer and even in the car to keep the weight out of the truck. The only thing that goes in the bed of mine is the wifes EZGO. Read the tag on the door of your tow rig, that'll give you a good idea what it'll safely tow. Sorry, no pics of my trailer.

Well, I have more truck than I need for what I tow but that's slowly changing after buying a 5th wheel travel trailer. I drag my junk with a homemade open 16' trailer. I want to get an enclosed trailer with living quarters but I doubt that's going to happen plus the one I want really should be towed with a 3500 dually and I had bought a dually just before my oldest came running back to mommy and daddy looking for yet another 'bailout' (and the last) then our great politicians led the country into a nose dive and I lost my ***. So, I'm still towing with a 2500 Cummins and it does fine pulling my 29' 5th wheel too but I will probably buy an enclosed trailer soon....one that is at least 25-28'. Never buy one that is just big enough for the car because you will regret it. I would take a pic of my open car hauler but....it's just an open car hauler with no side rails.

Thanks guys. I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi crew cab 4x4. After reading the posts, I think I may buy an open trailer. Then when my truck is paid off, I will buy a used RV for about $15k to tow the trailer and then I have a place to sleep. That way I can go camping with the RV when not racing. My wife and kids want to come to the races with me so I need to keep the comfortable to limit the complaining. lol

best trailer i have had for ease of use is my half and half that i have now.was originally used for nascar back up cars.is 27 feet long and only enclosed up front to hold my pit box.bought it used for $2600 bucks and is some of the best money i have ever spent.being open in back means i can haul anything that will fit on it.(towed a freinds lifted 4x4 2000 miles,never would have fit inside an enclosed)make sure too look close at used trailers,lots of great deals out there.

Thanks guys. I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi crew cab 4x4. After reading the posts, I think I may buy an open trailer. Then when my truck is paid off, I will buy a used RV for about $15k to tow the trailer and then I have a place to sleep. That way I can go camping with the RV when not racing. My wife and kids want to come to the races with me so I need to keep the comfortable to limit the complaining. lol

Thats exactly what my plan is as well. I'll be looking for a 15K motorhome and enclosed trailer once we pay off her new suv. My wife and 6 month old daughter come with me to the track all the time and an easy up tent just sucks sometimes. RV's can tow the racecar and be used for vacation. Or even a combination of both.

you can get a decent enclosed 24-26' tag(used) for not much more than an open(new)! You'll be happier in the long run!A friend has a 1500 -hemi and pulls an enclosed with no problem.Always up grade later on!

My only advice to running an open trailer.Maske sure you run large mud flaps on the tow vehicle.If not it will pepper your car with stone chips!!!

My plan is a 48-53 foot fifth wheel car hauler with living quarters of at least 24-28 feet the rest garage,this will be my home after my kids finally move out [after college] i'll sell my present dwelling and live in that. And yes i do own a cummins diesel dually to drag it around with.

Auto Transport Service
Back