• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signal light gremlins

CandianRunner69

Local time
10:09 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone......
I'm having an issue with my signal lights. The original issue was that they would not blink on the right side. I change the signal relay... no change. I took apart the front assemblies to check for any grounding issues. There was some corrosion. I cleaned it up reassembled with a pair of cheater washers and it worked for a few days. Started happening again. I changed all the bulbs last weekend, and it solved the problems. Last night I went to cruise night and it is happening again.

Current condition.
Parking lights work : all in low level except passenger front showing bright.
Left signals work but no right.... I'm going to check the RF signal bulb again, but if that's not it... I'm at a loss.... I hate wiring... lol.
Any thoughts would be appreciated....

20210906_182212sml.jpg

Hey everyone......
I'm having an issue with my signal lights. The original issue was that they would not blink on the right side. I change the signal relay... no change. I took apart the front assemblies to check for any grounding issues. There was some corrosion. I cleaned it up reassembled with a pair of cheater washers and it worked for a few days. Started happening again. I changed all the bulbs last weekend, and it solved the problems. Last night I went to cruise night and it is happening again.

Current condition.
Parking lights work : all in low level except passenger front showing bright.
Left signals work but no right.... I'm going to check the RF signal bulb again, but if that's not it... I'm at a loss.... I hate wiring... lol.
Any thoughts would be appreciated....

View attachment 1172827
Check your emercency flashers. Is your E-flasher switch ok? Try swapping the relays. I had a similar issue with my 69 RR. Turned out to be a bad relay. Weird thing was the turn signals worked ok AFTER using the E-flashers.

Check your emercency flashers. Is your E-flasher switch ok? Try swapping the relays. I had a similar issue with my 69 RR. Turned out to be a bad relay. Weird thing was the turn signals worked ok AFTER using the E-flashers.
I will give that a shot tonight when i get home..... Thanks

I'm going to be removing the switch panel over the winter to clean and restore the switches.

mostly sure damaged turning switch on column.

Turning flasher never is the problem if one of the sides works perfect.

You can jump out the red wire with tan and brown wires on turning switch harness and if the right side blinks, will confirm is the turning switch

Buy or make some jumpers with alligator or battery charger clips on them and clip the sockets to a good ground. Sounds like a ground issue to me.

I installed halogens for the head lights. I also installed a separate relay for them so they are running off battery power and not through the switch.

If you have ammeter is not correct to source anything from batt. It must be sourced from alt.

If they work with the emergency flashers, then the turn signal switch is bad.

If they work with the emergency flashers, then the turn signal switch is bad.

Ok so last night I had time and I checked the Emerg flashers... worked like a charm..... but the signals still did not work on the right side for turning. So would I just need the cam for the switch or the entire unit?

Was this fine before having fiberglass fenders installed?

IT was fine before the repairs were done and put on new steel. I had Fiberglass prior to repairs.
Ok, guess I had the re-do reversed. In any case, ask me why I say lol, when disconnecting wiring especially when its been connected for a long time, the wire crimps can break or loosen. And when reconnecting a ground, it may not re-ground or fully ground...maybe from rust or bent connectors or reusing those. Some connections can 'look' fine; but are not. When I redid all the light fixtures (tail/parking lights, etc.) including new gaskets/rubber I had a hell of a time with one dull flickering light and no flash. As posted, many times it's ground gremlins. I ran a jumper wire finding it was a poor ground (other deal was car was re-painted). In that case I made a new grounding connection for it and solved the problem...

Ok so quick update.. thinking this may be a cause... drivers side wire hanging on by 2 threads and were in contact with other lead.. now wires have broken..

Ok so quick update.. thinking this may be a cause... drivers side wire hanging on by 2 threads and were in contact with other lead.. now wires have broken..
Your hunt appears to be bearing some fruit..

OK.. i have a quick update. I found that the connectors were very worn and crossed with exposed wires... See photo below. I cleaned them up and separated the wires... reconnected them and reinstalled everything. Ran a test and it appeared that they were working..
Today I rested the signals, and found the issue continues but is different. Now... the signals work in normal mode (but only blink on the low element). When parking lights or headlights are on... front signals are lit up in bright mode and blink down to low mode on the front. The rears appear to continue to operate normally. I'm at a loss and frustrated. When I reconnected did I possibly reverse a set of wires? I thought I was very careful on this...

20211002_122340.jpg

Problem is solved. the main issue that started this was the grounding issue. When I took apart the front signals to clean contacts and replace the bulbs, the wrapped the entire pigtail with electrical tape for protection. Not know the wires are suppose to float inside the factor sheath off of the socket. So I ended up trapping the socket to a fixed position not allowing the bulbs to sit in the proper position. basically they were running in reverse mode... blink on low light and parking lights were sitting in high position. found this out after a good friend told me the wires needed to be free. I took it apart again made the adjustments, hooked it all up and everything worked like it was suppose to. Feeling pretty dumb, but I can say that it was definitely a learning experience. I want to thank everyone who provided me feedback on this post... all of it was greatly appreciated.
Happy Cruizin'

Grant

I put grease in the socket to keep the corrosion from coming back

Auto Transport Service
Back