• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silly Engine Lift Plate Question

Now we got "rednecks" having "single position sex"...
Is it not possible for you fellas to express your opinions without insulting others?
IMO it was not an intentional insult, it was a coarse example most adults can visualize rather well I suspect.
The question I do see, is what makes someone so sensitive to the comment that they regard it as an insult?
I have a suspicion why, but I'll wait for answer first, before sharing, if need be.

From the first engine/trans I pulled, I've always used a leveler. For $30 why use anything else? I've pulled numerous engine/trans without scratching the paint, easy to do by yourself too.
https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Engine...fXcTRbAPUD7H0IQgDBk2OAWm8FRoCuGMQAvD_BwE&th=1

713biUZOyRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I pulled the iron V-10 out of my 94 2500 with a homemade plate with no issues.
Mike

From the first engine/trans I pulled, I've always used a leveler. For $30 why use anything else? I've pulled numerous engine/trans without scratching the paint, easy to do by yourself too.
https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Engine...fXcTRbAPUD7H0IQgDBk2OAWm8FRoCuGMQAvD_BwE&th=1

View attachment 1649790
Have one and used it a few times but learned where to place the hook on a lifting chain and then stick a big screw driver in a link to keep the hook from slipping. Been doing that since my first engine pull in 1970.
Whether it's a cherry picker. or a joist-mounted chain-hoist, this ^ is what I've always liked to use.
Had a cherry picker.....don't particularly care for them especially with a car that rolls. My shop has two areas up in the rafters to hang a chain hoist and one up front stays in place. The other one in the rear of the shop hooks up to a wood cradle that sits on two joists. Down side to a chain hoist is the pull chain. One hoist has a shortened pull on it and it doesn't get in the way. And a cherry picker takes up too much room in an already crowded shop.

Lots of opportunity on this thread to be a smart @ss.
I'll let it pass. They all work. Go with what's best for you.
I personally like the picker plate.
Not a big fan of the redneck log chain method tearing up the fresh block paint.
Not hard to keep the chain from tearing up fresh paint.....and a logging chain is huge. A 1/4" wide link chain is more than enough.

I've had 1000's of pulls with one and never a failure. At least a couple of hundred had an aluminum intake.

I use stainless grade 8 setscrews as carb studs in my aluminum Intakes, so I don't worry a bit about thread pullout.
I have a homemade carb plate with several holes, so u can use it with or without a trans.
But the last time I put in my 440, my plate, and my chains were at the other home.... so I used an out-of-date 3"racecar seat belt.
Worked fine.

Tensile strength of a regular Grade 5 x 5/16 bolt is spec'd at 6300 lbs.

I think tensile for 5/16-18 gr.8 is 7,800 lb. Like Mike pointed out, proof load is 6,300 lb.

To the OP, use what you like, but there is no reason to be concerned about the bolts.

Last edited:
Bolt specs can change mfg to mfg due to alloy differences and other things, but the overall trend for a bolt strength is seen. Here is a chart from Allied Bolt showing the comparison between "Sheer Strength" and Tensile Strength". For you guys that like to use a chain strung across the intake to a bolt on the front and back of a head, your setup has a better chance of breaking a bolt and dropping the load than the engine plate ever will.

Bolt size 5/16-18, Thread Stress Area 0.0524
GR. 2 Min Tensile Strength 6,288 lbs, Min Shank Shear Strength 5,522 lbs, Min Thread Shear Strength 3,773 lbs
Gr. 8 Min Tensile Strength 7,860 lbs, Min Shank Shear Strength 6,903 lbs, Min Thread Shear Strength 4,716 lbs

If you insist on using a chain front to back, at least use a bolt with a shank, and ensure to tighten it fully with the chain on the shank portion of the bolt.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=9289...uY29tL2ZpbGVzL1NoZWFyU3RyZW5ndGgyLnBkZg&ntb=1

I wasn’t going to bring it up, but glad you did.

The side load stress, particularly when going diagonally bolt to bolt with a chain with a flat angle, is incredible. Far more likely to snap than 4 - 5/16-18 bolts in tension.

Auto Transport Service
Back