• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silly question - 6 pack 440

Another thing that helps an off idle stumble, I knocked out the lead plugs in the outboard carbs and turned the idle screws out a half turn. That was on factory OEM carbs. They were shipped lean to meet emission standards. I should add I was running headers on both cars.

The 'idle mixture' screw in post #1 looks like a brass screw with a washer under it, not an adjustable mixture screw.

Initial [ idle ] timing is most affected by cam size. Big-ger cams, more timing needed.

Check your float level.
Spot on,I removed the inspection/window screw and it was a waterfall. Managed to adjust the front and middle, couldn't remove the last one.
Almost gave up to be honest since the plugs are swollen, I barely managed to remove it almost losing half of it in the bowl. And since they are swollen it won't screw back in. I managed to force and push them back, it seems to be holding but I'll by proper screws instead of those inspection ones. (That didn't help me anyway)

I would adjust the outboard carbs mixture screws no more than 1/4 - 1/2 turn out from seated. Those screws that you circled are mixture screws for the center carb. It looks like you still have the caps on the screws. Take the caps off and you will see a small screw under the cap. Screw them all the way in and then out about 1 1/2 turns.
Thank you very much, yes they had a cap which I never came across before. Removed the cap and the mixture screws where there.

Like I said 2 of them are level now and the result is clear:

Nothing black coming from the exhaust.

Timing wise I moved it back to where it was previously so it's on 15 now. If I move way back like the picture in my first post it will give me a nive vacumm measurement, almost 20 vs 15 at the moment. Even trying to adjust the mixture screws didn't change it that much. So it's back on 15 degrees and 15 vacuum but no spitting and the car is driving just fine.
(If I change timing too far back where the 20 vacumm is the engine will be too heavyto turn on the key)

If you fancy a bit of general context:
I bought this car from a very reputable mechanic who knows mopars above anything else. I was never 100% happy but coming fron this person I thought I was making things up and that the car would be tuned to perfection. On top of that I never touched a 6pack in my life so I convinced myself that it was the way it should. But I had enough, I had to give it a go and learn how to tune and service the 6pack so thank you so much for all the help so far!

20230928_134550.jpg

20230928_124635.jpg

20230923_185204.jpg

20230923_184240.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back