• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Since I Can't Afford an MP-5...

One time only- early 80’s Kimber 82G, 1 of 20,000 made for Army training, single shot .22..1” o.d. barrel, weighs 10-1/2# w/o the scope. No rapid fire possible!!

796571AE-5A8A-4880-9E7A-0F3A011F2CF5.jpeg

I have one of the Remington 513-T. I was told it was used for military training also.

I was issued an mp5 for a short period of time. Great weapon but expensive and we had issues with the 9mm. They wouldn't switch calipers either. Don't know why? So. Ended up with an Olympic Arms CAR-40. Yes 40 cal. Didn't make sense.. Caliber change???

Anyway, to the Thompson thread.. Cool story. A friend in my firearms team had an elderly gentleman walk in one day to the front office carrying this gun case. He set it on the counter and opened it. Holy grail! There was an original WWII Thompson machine gun. Full auto! With stick magazines, no drum. He explained the story that he shipped it home in pieces and has had it ever since. One of the cool parts of the story was all the notches on the pistol grip and forestock. When he asked what they stood for, he said, "Germans" with a slight grin that came and went quickly. He wanted to turn the gun in and didn't want it in his house anymore. We used to take it to the range and shoot it. It was great. Loved shooting that weapon! Rise to the right every time in full auto! Lol!

The MP5 in 9mm, is the most prolific sub-gun on the planet, used by nearly every SWAT team and special-ops unit world-wide[look at all the officers in Europe, who carry them everywhere]. The FBI wanted them in 10mm, and quickly changed their minds, due to killing innocents due to over-penetration. Thus, the 40 was developed. Now, I believe they've gone back to 10mm. The department I worked for, sold off their Thompsons, M-1 carbines, and Stoners... to fund other projects. Their SWAT officers all use MP5-SD's. I've never heard/shot a quieter suppressed 9mm. They run like a Swiss[or German] watch. My 9mm MP5K is a hoot. I shoot it on my property[suppressed] quite often. The neighbors don't even hear it.

5dtd92.jpg

2wfsl52.jpg

2yulhxj.jpg

I should have said the 10mm was too much to handle. Agents were hitting things other than their preferred targets.

Last edited:
The FBI wanted them in 10mm, and quickly changed their minds, due to killing innocents due to over-penetration. Thus, the 40 was developed.

It wasn't over-penetration that killed the 10MM, it was length. Gun makers found there was just no way to adapt existing pistol frames to 10MM due to the length of the cartridge, so they had to retool and make a slightly-larger frame and the demand for 10MM never took off, which meant making 10MM-specific firearms wasn't cost effective and the round was doomed.

The fix for this was when Smith & Wesson tried reducing the case length to one that would fit in 9MM/.45 ACP frames, and voila! The S&W .40 Caliber round was born. So a S&W .40 is just a shortened 10MM.

I got my GSG-522 home, and I LIKE IT! The only issue I found is the rear sight tower is really weird. Instead of the different-sized holes on the H&K tower this uses slots cut into the tower. I found a place that sells H&K rear sight assemblies that fit these clones and ordered one of those.

That event is probably what did more to establish the MP5, than any other. It's legendary with the HK fanboys...me included.

vh6io5.jpg

"The FBI went looking for a pistol round with deeper penetration," says Dave Spaulding, a retired Ohio police lieutenant and pistol instructor. "It's not important that you hit something, it's important that you hit something important."

The FBI's adoption of 10mm Auto to attain greater stopping power popularized the then-obscure round. The FBI later switched to a subsonic load (the "10mm FBI") to better tame the full-powered 10mm that delivered about 38,000 pounds psi, says Ayoob, who's written extensively about the incident.

Later, the FBI switched to the .40-caliber S&W that is now the most prevalent duty ammo in law enforcement. The .40-caliber provides "similar" ballistics to a 10mm in a shorter casing.

As of late, the trusty 9mm has become the round of choice, by Federal LE.

Good site for HK info...
http://www.hkpro.com/

Last edited:
Don’t get me wrong, I loved the mp5! The powers weren’t fans of the caliber. I didn’t want to turn it in! It was a sad day! I didn’t like the mp5 in 10mm. It is True on most prolific however we had some shootings where 9mm wasn’t even close to doing it job! I think that is what made the big wigs nervous. Yeah we can talk shot placement and all the other stuff and I agree! But we couldn’t convince the powers to be of those significant facts! We tried like crazy. Believe me, I would take one in 9mm today in a heartbeat!!

Auto Transport Service
Back