• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single field to dual field.

R413

Local time
11:26 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1968 single field, I need a dual field. Can I remove the grounded brush and put on a brush wiith a terminal for the 2nd field wire?

I know we can go the other way, but does the early single field alternator get changed over to a dual that easy?

Yes by adding the dual field insulator that holds the brush.
I bought the insulator awhile back but don't know where.
My guess may have been Rock Auto.

If the back looks like this, I think it's that easy.

IMG_1363.JPG

I have a 1968 single field, I need a dual field. Can I remove the grounded brush and put on a brush wiith a terminal for the 2nd field wire?

I know we can go the other way, but does the early single field alternator get changed over to a dual that easy?
A curiosity question: WHY do you think you "need" a dual or isolated field alternator??? (Because a "buddy" says so). You can use an electronic voltage regulator (after market replacement) that resembles the factory mechanical voltage regulator. Then every thing looks and functions like OEM. Just a thought......
BOB RENTON

Why do I need a dual field? Because I’m working on a dual field car with a bad alt. I have many single fields alts sitting here.

I don’t mess around changing around the wiring and regulators just for the heck of it. I’m fine with a single field alt and mechanical regulator on a 61-69 mopar.

Last edited:
Why do I need a dual field? Because I’m working on a dual field car with a bad alt. I have is single fields alts sitting here.

I don’t mess around changing around the wiring and regulators just for the heck of it. I’m fine with a single field alt and mechanical regulator on a 61-69 mopar.
WHO'S ON FIRST ?.....WHAT IS ON SECOND?......AND I DON'T KNOW IS ON THIRD ......There are subtle ways to know what or how to do exactly what you need as this has been covered at least 100+ times b4. Suggest using the search function.
BOB RENTON

They don’t sell you a single field alt at the box stores. You have to ground one brush to use a dual field alt on a single field car.

Yes that’s been gone over more than we can count, But not the other way.

They don’t sell you a single field alt at the box stores. You have to ground one brush to use a dual field alt on a single field car.

Yes that’s been gone over more than we can count, But not the other way.
The opposite of up is down; the opposite of in is out. Surely, a person will be able to figure it out, if they know the difference......insulated brush holder assembly vs grounded brush holder assembly....look at the two brush holders....to see the difference.....decide which one you want/need......it's that simple.......
BOB RENTON

WHO'S ON FIRST ?.....WHAT IS ON SECOND?......AND I DON'T KNOW IS ON THIRD ......There are subtle ways to know what or how to do exactly what you need as this has been covered at least 100+ times b4. Suggest using the search function.
BOB RENTON
I've never seen this question asked here.
I suggest you substantiate your claim.
Show an example of a thread here where this has been discussed.

Otherwise I think you owe @R413 an apology.

I don't care if the question has been asked 1000 times there is always something to learn. That's what this place is all about learning and understanding how it works. I also agree with Don don't remember doing it the way he wants to do it.

depending on the single field alt you got. Some are ready to serve to both setups like the one posted above, mostly used for 70/71 &/or I guess also dealer replacement alts of those years to serve for both setups depending on the need of customer’s car at the moment the setup was changing from single to dual field, but those earlier models what don’t, can be converted drilling them up.

this is a writte up I made loooooong time ago with pics collected along the web. Some other ppl on several boards has used this pic and reposted too as reference.

5905478-backofalttoupgrade1.jpg

then will need to get the brush kit or just the required brush and insulator if available by piece at the shop

you will need the ones on the left… insulation washer included To keep the brush insulated from retaining screw.

D760292F-EE49-47D2-85BD-18E047A603C8.jpeg

Maybe will require a small washer to shim a bit the insulator underneath, since is shaped to the small “towers” dual field insulator gets for the screw provision.

Last edited:
See? How easy is get the question answered with education, respect and without any drama?

Last edited:
I've never seen this question asked here.
I suggest you substantiate your claim.
Show an example of a thread here where this has been discussed.

Otherwise I think you owe @R413 an apology.
If you do not understand the how to, or the alternator works , then perhaps you, the origional person asking the question, should explain what is not understood because what was asked is as clear as mud......
BOB RENTON

depending on the single field alt you got. Some are ready to serve to both setups like the one posted above, mostly used for 70/71 &/or I guess also dealer replacement alts of those years to serve for both setups depending on the need of customer’s car at the moment the setup was changing from single to dual field, but those earlier models what don’t, can be converted drilling them up.

this is a writte up I made loooooong time ago with pics collected along the web. Some other ppl on several boards has used this pic and reposted too as reference.

View attachment 1523446
then will need to get the brush kit or just the required brush and insulator if available by piece at the shop

you will need the ones on the left… insulation washer included To keep the brush insulated from retaining screw.

View attachment 1523449

Maybe will require a small washer to shim a bit the insulator underneath, since is shaped to the small “towers” dual field insulator gets for the screw provision.

forgot to say, with this you will be getting both brushes insulated, which is the goal. Is not simply replace the non prong brush with a pronged one. On the dual prong setup the deal is get both sourced from wires and ungrounded from alt chassis instead one of them chassis grounded.

Auto Transport Service
Back