• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Six pack fast idle cam question

Rpdrunner

Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
I don’t have the carb in front of me to look at, which would probably answer my own question so…

The plastic cam on the 440 six packs where you can increase or decrease fast idle speed by inserting a screwdriver into the tang and moving where it sits in the cam is connected to what to actually control the speed? I understand the position of the tang closer or further in the cam is what changes the speed but what is it attached to to allow the change. I couldn’t really figure it out by looking at a photo and not having the car in front of me. Thank you!

lewtot is correct. The idle is increased by the metal tab sitting "up on the steps" of the fast idle cam

TANG. Now there's a word I haven't heard in a while.
1697945251612.png
I used to drink this when I was a kid, just like the astronauts did.

The tang is connected to the throttle shaft. Pretty simple.
AND IT'S ONLY ON THE CENTER CARB. The plastic idle cam is positioned on the 2nd step and the adjustable tang is twisted slightly (+/-) to open/close the throttle plates to a dimension as shown in the FSM, measured with a drill shank. The FSM shows the "how to" check adjust and drill shank dimensions .....
BOB RENTON

Thanks. Got home and was able to look at the carb and the FSM. Straight forward.

Auto Transport Service
Back