• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Six Pack POURING Gas in the Motor-What's Up?

As I see it, the OP needs to fix the vacuum problem first. Without proper vacuum signals, the carburetion will not be tuneable. Any competent machine shop can mill the intake surfaces parallel with the current surface angle. loneagle had a good idea. Since you already know that the manifold needs milling, I'd cut some cereal box cardboard into gasket size and torque the manifold down, then remove the cardboard and check the impressions. Let your machinist use his best 'guestimate' to take off material. Recheck with fresh cardboard. When you get to an even imprint, top and bottom of the ports, you should be OK.

Wait.....I thought the whole purpose of the six pack was to pour gas in the motor. What's the problem? lol

Mine was pouring fuel in at idle, when I looked in the carbs they where running fuel like crazy. Turned out, the O-ring on the needle & seat was junk (too small). I bought new borg warner needle & seats, part # 12412 and all issues solved. These wre new carbs I got from summit or jegs. So there are some needle and seats out there that have a problem. Kent.

My six pack setup is really dumping fuel in the motor and giving the rings a good washing. At idle I get a ton of smoke out of the tail pipes and after about 20 min. at idle I had an extra quart (of gas) in my oil pan. What's wrong?

I just rebuilt the carbs....
-drilled metering block holes behing power valve
- 1.5 power valve (I have about 2" vacuum at idle - old purple 292/509 cam)
- drilled outboard metering plates
-50cc accelerator pump
- small yellow outboard springs

I expected it would run a little rich.....but not this rich! Any ideas where to start? I'm not positive of what sizes I drilled the metering block/plates (drilled a couple years ago) but I know I followed some "text book" recommendations for a "stock" motor. I put the 1.5 power valve in to avoid this problem (low vacuum) but it didn't work apparently.

Thanks!

Solved the problem! Thanks to Everyone for your help! It was a 3 problems actually.... front carb had a sunk float the middle carb had the wrong metering block to carb body gasket AND it also had a little piece of teflon tape in the needle/seat. As far as the vacuum, the intake manifold wasn't sealed right and was sucking air/oil from inside the valley area.

I still have to tune the carbs, but I left the #66 jets in and switched to a 3.5 power valve (had a 2.5 in there), left the same metering block in 'cause I don't have a spare (holes in power valve area drilled) and I also left in the 50cc accelerator pump. I put stock front/back metering plates in and I'm still running the short yellow springs in the outboard carbs.

My gut instict is to jet down to maybe #64's, put in purple springs and maybe go back to a 30cc accelerator pump, but for right now I'll leave it how it is. It is so good to have the six pack back on the car! Thanks again everyone!

Do you have a part number for that correct gasket? Need to order some for my Six pack.

Make sure the metering block gaskets are correct. I just ran into this problem after someone else rebuilt some carbs.

It had this gasket installed and it was filling the motor with gas.

images

It needed this gasket.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvyEgeHAUxUtYHEyM9HL9lrIg8M_sH_g2KcnpcnyCKRFq6oMUvzQ.jpg

I damn near pulled my hair out trying to figure out why it was so rich.

disregard above post. Found the correct part numbers for the gaskets.

Would you share the part number please?

The below parts numbers are for the metering block gaskets specified by 62MAX in post #23 on Page 2 which are stated as being the correct Six Pack gaskets.

Holley# 108-89-2 primary metering block gasket

Holley# 108-90-2 secondary metering block gasket

Solved the problem! Thanks to Everyone for your help! It was a 3 problems actually.... front carb had a sunk float the middle carb had the wrong metering block to carb body gasket AND it also had a little piece of teflon tape in the needle/seat. As far as the vacuum, the intake manifold wasn't sealed right and was sucking air/oil from inside the valley area.

I still have to tune the carbs, but I left the #66 jets in and switched to a 3.5 power valve (had a 2.5 in there), left the same metering block in 'cause I don't have a spare (holes in power valve area drilled) and I also left in the 50cc accelerator pump. I put stock front/back metering plates in and I'm still running the short yellow springs in the outboard carbs.

My gut instict is to jet down to maybe #64's, put in purple springs and maybe go back to a 30cc accelerator pump, but for right now I'll leave it how it is. It is so good to have the six pack back on the car! Thanks again everyone!

Glad you figured it out. Just had a little issue with my new sixpack center carb dripping fuel at idle. My builder fixed it with a new needle and seat, 4.5 power valve and carb cleaning. I have 66 jets and a mopar purple shaft 292/ .509 cam.

Auto Transport Service
Back