• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Six Pack Roadrunner Clone

Hi Gary,
My FED EX account shows you received the 3 boxes containing the 6-pack set-up today (Friday) 11 March 2016.
That was quick!
They picked it up Tuesday the 8th of March at my place.

Congrads!

Yes! Its alive and well in Colorado now. Looks good, my son checked it over. I'm out of town until monday, install begins tuesday the 15th.

69 GTX, where did you set your idle mixture screws on the end carbs to start with? I have heard anywhere from 1/8 turn to 3/4 turns out. Or do I even need to remove the lead plugs and adjust them? I wonder what the factory setting is, and if that is a good place to start?

It will depend a lot on your set up. What combo are you running for engine combo?
I would remove the plugs.

It will depend a lot on your set up. What combo are you running for engine combo?
I would remove the plugs.

906 ported heads, solid cam, about .500 lift and 290 duration, idles better than my 509 hyd, so I don't think its more duration than that. I don't know the exact specs. 4.11 gears, headers, full manual auto, 6 AL ignition. Fires right up and runs great with the 3310 Holley 780 carb, and Perf RPM intake.

- - - Updated - - -

Should run really good with the six pack! I plan to set the idle mixture screws on end carbs at 1/2 turn out, center at 1 1/2 turns out.

You might have your hands full with that combo. The more duration/less vacuum the harder it is. I would first start by making sure your timing is set correctly before the swap. Both initial and full advance. A lot of people don't and it affects the whole tune up. I would leave idle screws in stock location to start.

Ok sounds good. I have put a distributor advance plate in recently which limits the mechanical advance to 18 crankshaft degrees. So it is set at 20 initial and 38 total. That seems to work very well at this altitude. It has excellent low end throttle response, idles good, with lots of torque throughout the power band. Revs strong and smooth to 5500 RPM. Haven't taken it past that.

Got the old intake/carb removed today, previous mechanic was overly generous with the RTV as usual. Still need carb to manifold mounting studs. Does 5/16 by 1 1/2 inch long studs sound right ?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, took one last run today with the Performer RPM and 780 Holley on it. Ran really great, as the temp was in the 40s. It was frying the tires in 1st and 2nd gear! Can't wait to get the six pack on!

One last question, is the rear carb list number one digit higher than the front one? I guess I thought they were the same.

That sounds correct Garys1969RR....my '70 front is 4382 and rear is 4383

Ok so got the carbs on the intake, fuel lines on, linkage installed. Not sure where the hose from top of center carb goes. Does that go to a vapor separator canister? Then does that return condensed fuel to the gas tank? Anyway I don't have, or know much about the canister. I guess I can get one at the auto parts store. Is it necessary to have one? Thanks everyone.

Got it all installed today, and after a test drive all I can say is AWESOME! Tons of torque, and tires won't stay hooked to the road in first OR second! And the sound is very impressive when the outboards kick in. Center carb seems a little rich at idle, so may have to do some adjusting soon.

Good job! Where on CO are you.

I'll be cruising by on 80, Thursday a.m., on my way to Jims.

Oh, going to get your 440? Great! I happen to be in Durango right now. Have a safe trip! Hope you have a covered bed/trailer for that motor? Wouldn't want to see it get wet.

I decided to leave today with the storm that's coming!

Yes, smart move! 80 can be a mess across Wyoming during those storms! Ask me how I know. Lol

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, just curious. Are you putting it in a pick up or trailer?

Auto Transport Service
Back