• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small block Dist Point Adjustments How Do You Do Yours?

FWIW, my Autometer analog tach is hooked up to my Flamethrower III coil and Ignitor III ignition and it is rock steady.

On setting your point gap to get dwell, I (before I swapped out to electronic) would mark the distributor base to block, loosen the holddown and rotate the dist to get the points to open and close and set gap, tighten down points, tighten down dist, install cap and then run it on my Sears dwell meter and adjust from there.

Yes you never know. Some peoples timing lights don't work with the III and some do. Some tachometers will and some won't.

FWIW, my Autometer analog tach is hooked up to my Flamethrower III coil and Ignitor III ignition and it is rock steady.

On setting your point gap to get dwell, I (before I swapped out to electronic) would mark the distributor base to block, loosen the holddown and rotate the dist to get the points to open and close and set gap, tighten down points, tighten down dist, install cap and then run it on my Sears dwell meter and adjust from there.

Threewood the small blocks are a pain in the a$$ to get to the points and see what you are doing and do these fine adjustments.

If you think small blocks are a pita, do a /6!

What brand of ignition parts are you using? Don't know how they are nowadays but Blue Streak was the ones to use. They were the best out there. Also, something that was taught to me way back was to set the points a bit wide and the plugs a bit tight and let the tune 'come in' while driving it. Was common for me for a tune up to last over a year but it depends on your miles driven. Timing will advance as the points wear and the points gap gets closer. I didn't mind doing a tune up because it got me under the hood at least and got a good look at everything.

Wait till ‘ halifax’ chimes in, he refurbs Sun testers. I had a used dist.tester way way back. I pulled every Chrysler dist. when I had that thing, sooo easy to set dwell.
LOL I am in!

Easiest way for you is prob leave it in take the cap and rotor off and adjust them with a dwell meter, sounds hard but just takes a few second. Obviously you have to crank it while doing it. As for parts do not go cheap, the condensors for some reason have a high fail rate and you want points with a good spring tension to avoid point float. Blue streak are prob the best around now unless you want accell which are 20 a set. I have a bunch of old store stock ones if you get in a bind.

OH yeah oil the felt under the rotor, just a few drops of engine oil is fine, just use your dipstick it will be enough.

Threewood the small blocks are a pain in the a$$ to get to the points and see what you are doing and do these fine adjustments.

I did the points a few times on my 318 poly like I described above and didn't have an issue. I'm 6'-2" and I can really lean in there.

OH yeah oil the felt under the rotor, just a few drops of engine oil is fine, just use your dipstick it will be enough.
Hi Halifax thanks for your inputs on this! What felt are you tefering to? Is that the gasket ring between the block and dizzy?

Hi Halifax thanks for your inputs on this! What felt are you tefering to? Is that the gasket ring between the block and dizzy?

No. With the distributor cap off, pull the rotor and inside the shaft the rotor sits on should be a piece of heavy felt which needs the oil.

No. With the distributor cap off, pull the rotor and inside the shaft the rotor sits on should be a piece of heavy felt which needs the oil.
Ok thanks I will check for that.

No felt heading to the speed shop hopefully they have it. Bringing the dizzy with me.

No felt heading to the speed shop hopefully they have it. Bringing the dizzy with me.

Check Lowe's or HD. The felt is the same density used on the bottom of furniture legs.
I have felt if you need some, i can throw it in an envelope.

Check Lowe's or HD. The felt is the same density used on the bottom of furniture legs.
I have felt if you need some, i can throw it in an envelope.
Thanks man! Ok with my bad back I decided to bite the bullet and picked up a Pertrinix unit at Ramjet Speed Shop, they matched Summits price! Should speed up my engine bring up. Maybe I can fire her up today! I assume I don’t need any felt with the Igniter??

Thanks man! Ok with my bad back I decided to bite the bullet and picked up a Pertrinix unit at Ramjet Speed Shop, they matched Summits price! Should speed up my engine bring up. Maybe I can fire her up today! I assume I don’t need any felt with the Igniter??

Congrats! Did you get the Pertronix ready to run distributor or just the ignition module? If you got just the module, you still need the felt as the module takes the place of your points and the hall effect (Pertronix 1 and 2) slips over the distributor cam head.

Congrats! Did you get the Pertronix ready to run distributor or just the ignition module? If you got just the module, you still need the felt as the module takes the place of your points and the hall effect (Pertronix 1 and 2) slips over the distributor cam head.
Crap No I did not get the felt. I got the module. Was told don’t needt it but I don’t think they knew what they were talking about. So is this just a ring that fits over the shaft?

OK I think I understand what that felt is used for. Its kike a wick to fking off a bit or oil for lubrication over time. It sits inside the shaft just under the rotor. It used standard motor oil and should only need a small amout at tune up intervals right?

Rats....another would be old school tuner bites the dust lol

OK I think I understand what that felt is used for. Its kike a wick to fking off a bit or oil for lubrication over time. It sits inside the shaft just under the rotor. It used standard motor oil and should only need a small amout at tune up intervals right?

That's all it is!

Auto Transport Service
Back