• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Snow fence woes...

Triplegreen500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:09 PM
Reaction score
So, don't buy any of the plastic "temporary" snow fencing - that stuff is garbage.

"Temporary" is measured in hours.

I put 400' of it along my driveway last night in preparation for snow. Started after work (6pm ish) and finished up about 830. Drove the posts, set all the fencing, zip tied it to the posts. Alarm went off at 0500, grabbed the snowblower....and ALL the snow fence was shredded. Confetti. I have to pick it out of my neighbors trees.

Absolute JUNK.

I guess I'll go back to my usual, heavy, pain in the *** to work with, wood-slat fencing. Unless anyone has any other ideas? My driveway is exposed for about 400', very windy area. 2" of snowfall can get me 2 feet of drifting.

I'm considering trying this stuff:

s-l1600.jpg

Says there's a pocket every 3" for posts...maybe? Anyone have any experience with stuff like this?

That looks more like Manitoba mosquito netting!

I always weave a lath in the plastic fence at each post then use 3 or 4 zip ties. I get 5 years or more out of a new roll that way and the wind does not tear it.

Mine tore between posts, not just at the posts. I had it strung taut, not floppy...and it still ripped itself to pieces. Absolutely worthless. Maybe it's just too thin to be worth a damn.

Mine tore between posts, not just at the posts. I had it strung taut, not floppy...and it still ripped itself to pieces. Absolutely worthless. Maybe it's just too thin to be worth a damn.

Maybe you had it pulled to taught that it couldn't flex that caused it to tear, ever think of that???

I have a neighbor who has about the same exposure of driveway to open fields and drifting. He uses something orange just like that one you asked about. He puts posts. metal, every 10 feet and if there's a real big blow on the way I have also seen him bolster the posts by driving braces in on the lee side at 45* angles. It holds up all winter. He does have a rather large 4x4 tractor and plow too though....

Looks like what I had but mine was green.

0107220739.jpg

Maybe the orange is a thicker gauge.

I don't know about your stuff, but I work in construction and this stuff is tuff as hell, we put it around open ditches, etc. and you have a heck of a time opening it up if somebody got crazy with wire, trying to rip the plastic, the state even uses out in rural areas like your application and I've NEVER seen that happen.:wtf:

Yeah, I was less than thrilled. First thought was "goddamned deer!", but as I ran the snowblower I saw more and more of it simply shred itself in the wind...just a crap product I guess.

I'm familiar with Uline stuff in general, they're a known brand. May try some of theirs out...thanks!

Maybe Temperature related causing to get brittle maybe some are rated at different temps just a thought

Once it started shredding, I grabbed some (before it got sucked into my snowblower) and pulled it out. It stretched a bit before it tore, so still flexible. Just...junk. And, it was cold...but not dangerous-cold. Bottomed out around 35 IIRC - snowed over an inch an hour last night, with that much cloud cover and falling snow, it can't get TOO cold out...

Yes seems like everything is of lesser quality nowadays unfortunately

Once it started shredding, I grabbed some (before it got sucked into my snowblower) and pulled it out. It stretched a bit before it tore, so still flexible. Just...junk. And, it was cold...but not dangerous-cold. Bottomed out around 35 IIRC - snowed over an inch an hour last night, with that much cloud cover and falling snow, it can't get TOO cold out...
We have fencing that is at least 10 years old still good.

I concur with this stuff from uline. I worked for the county for 30 plus years and used different kinds. We settled on this as it was easy to set up, durable and easy to store. It also worked as well the slatted wood

Auto Transport Service
Back