• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I bring my 68 Charger in for an inspection sticker yesterday

I've told this story before hopefully won't bore anyone here:
When I bought my Charger the only registration the previous owner had was marked "Salvage".
Someone thought they could avoid NY sales tax I guess. He had the bodywork done and had it painted (a nice job too).
He had never registered it it basically sat for 10 years he was in the Navy and then got married.
After I bought it I needed to do a VIN Tracing and get an inspection to register/title it (same thing for 1973 and earlier here in NY).
My uncle worked in the back room at the local distributer doing starters, magnetos and other stuff; he knew all the local shops.
He said I'll call "Bill and Earls" and tell them you will be over.
I was pretty nervous that it wouldn't pass as I hadn't even taken a wheel off it yet.
I went over there and Bill comes out
"So you're Kenny's nephew?"
" Yes sir"
"Nice car"
Pulls out a scraper, slaps on a sticker.
That will be 8 dollars.
Never even checked the lights.

I got a ticket in PA years back for NO hood...............:realcrazy:

View attachment 803123 View attachment 803124
I was worried about no-hood on one of my cars (the valve covers are higher than the hood line), but then I remembered what "street legal" looks like here in Arizona. 5 year registration available too. That last one is in an early Falcon.

20190223_155915.jpg 20190223_155858.jpg 20191025_160422.jpg

Back when they first started doing emissions testing in Massachusetts, one of the guys I was in Auto shop with in high school, said bring your Charger by on Saturday, and we will do the inspection and emissions testing on it. So Saturday I bring it by the garage where he works. He says come back after 3pm. So I bring the car in at 3 pm,and he does the safety inspection, and then he says to the other guy,go get the mule. So the guy backs an Omni up to the garage door, and he sticks the emissions probe up the tailpipe of the Omni,the computer says Pass,and the sticker prints out,he slaps it on the windshield, and says,all set!

Yep, a buddy of mine did exactly that for me, with my carburated fox body. That car ran good, fun ride, but it never got past a smog inspection easily.

Back in the 1970's the California Highway Patrol used to run random roadside equipment inspections (not smog checks).

One afternoon, driving my hundred dollar 1963 Pontiac Grand Prix, I spotted the CHP inspection up ahead just after the traffic signal I was approaching. I don't remember the reason, but I wanted very badly to avoid the inspection. I swerved over to the left hand lane, planning to make a U-turn at the traffic signal. The traffic signal arrow was red, so I pressed hard on the brake to stop.

I had been noticing, little by little, the brake pedal was dropping closer and closer to the floorboard when I stopped. On this occasion, the vehicle seemed it would not stop in time, so I pressed with all my might. In the process of trying so desperately to stop, I accidentally honked the horn at the same time (installed a low-rider 10 inch diameter steering wheel at the time). The vehicle slowed, but did not stop, so I made the U-turn against the red light. I may also have down-shifted the console equipped automatic in my desperation not to crash. Fortunately, no traffic was in my path at the time. Also, fortunate, the CHP did not see or hear me violating several provisions of the state vehicle code.

Later, I found the four wheel drum brakes were not self-adjusting and that was the reason the brake pedal travel increased as the brake shoes wore down.

Pontiac Grand Prix.jpg

I heard from a friend:rolleyes: that they would pull a car in next to the one getting the test and raise & lower the RPM during the "drive" test:D
Yea,,,,,a friend told me that:rofl::wetting:

One afternoon, driving my hundred dollar 1963 Pontiac Grand Prix I had been noticing, little by little, the brake pedal was dropping closer and closer to the floorboard when I stopped. On this occasion, the vehicle seemed it would not stop in time, so I pressed with all my might. In the process of trying so desperately to stop..The vehicle slowed, but did not stop...I may also have down-shifted the console equipped automatic in my desperation not to crash.
Later, I found the four wheel drum brakes were not self-adjusting and that was the reason the brake pedal travel increased as the brake shoes wore down.
View attachment 881939
At least you had as much steel around you as an aircraft carrier, so you had a chance to survive a crash. Lol

@HEMI-ITIS , i wish i could. He was on a side street, on a trailer, where they were doing loading/unloading for the street drags they have once a year (maybe) on rt 66 . I got the engine shot, and was going to take more when they ran the fastest class, but he never showed, and when i went looking ,the whole rig was gone.

We don't have inspection out here. We used to in WY. and most places you just give them the money they gave you the sticker anyway. So they just stopped requiring it. We don't have it here in South Dakota either.

Auto Transport Service
Back