• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I got a bet for you...

Let me rephrase that question. Two motors, both assembled from the same plant, both with the same running specs from factory, every part essentially the same, one engine without a thermostat, one with, both checked, and deemed comparable, torque specs the same, essentially two identical motors, temp checks 31 times before and after duration same time...etc and both run the same quarter mile. How is this possible, or even possible?
No fluid in the system....no belt:wtf:
1st is run on a 90 deg day 2nd is run on a 45 deg day
Moon rising in Scorpio, and one car is in the southern hemisphere where the coriolis effect reverses convection heat exhange rate...

The T-stat hadn't opened yet so both weren't warmed up above the t-stats temp. You never said what the temperature was.

Yup & we’ll be smacking our forehead when the answer comes!

If you were doing scientific method testing to see if removing the thermostat had any effect on 1/4 mile times (and or MPH, and/or max engine temp) and the test proved that it did not.....

...and that's a kind of potentially disastrous situation to run a Hemi (or any engine) hard in the 1/4 with it not warmed up yet.

Yikes.

...and that's a kind of potentially disastrous situation to run a Hemi (or any engine) hard in the 1/4 with it not warmed up yet.

Yikes.
Hey, my brain is just ‘Day trippin ‘ here.

The automotive thermostat is one of the most misunderstood devices in the hobby.

Lots of folks seem to think that replacing a 190* unit with a 180* one will magically make their car run cooler.

Let's pause to remember that most automotive cooling systems are pressurized.

This effectively raises the boiling point of water above 212*.

This fact intimates that by design, an operating temp in the vicinity of over 200* is acceptable, if not desired.

At least one other member here understands, and as pointed out, the temperature rating simply dictates how quickly the car "warms up".

:thumbsup:
The automotive thermostat is one of the most misunderstood devices in the hobby.

Lots of folks seem to think that replacing a 190* unit with a 180* one will magically make their car run cooler.

Let's pause to remember that most automotive cooling systems are pressurized.

This effectively raises the boiling point of water above 212*.

This fact intimates that by design, an operating temp in the vicinity of over 200* is acceptable, if not desired.

At least one other member here understands, and as pointed out, the temperature rating simply dictates how quickly the car "warms up".

You guys are misinformed. My Road Runner ran at 200+ on hot days when I bought it with a 190 in it. I replaced it with a 180 and rarely ever see anything above 185 now. A thermostat is rarely ever in a full open position. It is usually fluctuating near the full open position maintaining the set temperature. If its purpose where only to speed up warm up why would they make different temp thermostats? This is engine cooling 101.

This is a quote from probably the oldest thermostat manufacture- Stant.

"What is a thermostat? What purpose does it serve?
The thermostat has two important jobs to perform; to accelerate engine warm-up and to regulate the engine's operating temperature. A quality thermostat ensures excellent fuel economy, reduces engine wear, diminishes emissions and blow-by, improves cold weather drivability, provides adequate heater output, and detours overheating. This is accomplished by blocking the circulation of coolant between the engine and radiator until the engine has reached its predetermined temperature. The thermostat then opens as required in response to changes in coolant temperature to keep the engine's temperature within the desired operating range.

How does a thermostat work?
"Usually located within a metal or plastic housing where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine, most of today’s thermostats utilize the "reverse poppet" design, which opens against the flow of the coolant. Thermostats have a wax filled copper housing or cup called a "heat motor" that pushes the thermostat open against spring pressure.

As the engine's coolant warms up, the increase in heat causes the wax to melt and expand. The wax pushes against a piston inside a rubber boot. This forces the piston outward to open the thermostat. Within 3 or 4 degrees F. of the thermostat preset/rated temperature which is usually marked on the thermostat, the thermostat begins to unseat so coolant can start to circulate between the engine and radiator. It continues to open until engine cooling requirements are satisfied. It is fully open about 15-20 degrees above its rated temperature. If the temperature of the circulating coolant begins to drop, the wax element contracts, allowing spring tension to close the thermostat, thus decreasing coolant flow through the radiator. "

And then there is this from Wikipedia

"Once the optimum operating temperature is reached, the thermostat progressively increases or decreases its opening in response to temperature changes, dynamically balancing the coolant recirculation flow and coolant flow to the radiator to maintain the engine temperature in the optimum range as engine heat output, vehicle speed, and outside ambient temperature change. Under normal operating conditions the thermostat is open to about half of its stroke travel, so that it can open further or reduce its opening to react to changes in operating conditions. A correctly designed thermostat will never be fully open or fully closed while the engine is operating normally, or overheating or overcooling would occur."

Last edited:
Theory vs reality.

I stand by my statement.

And the reality is that your theory is wrong.
I edited my post to add more proof, but I can only lead a horse to water.

It didn't happen.....since there was no pics provided :D

:xscuseless:

Ranger 16, your car ran hot because your 190* stat was bad. Hate to tell you, but Wikipedia is not a good source to get info for your car.

What was the question?
Funny-Monkey-Fingers-In-Ears.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back