• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what do you think of this '70 V code 'Cuda? Super deal, or smell like fish?

Minnesota came up with what they thought was a clever way to tax sales of cars purchased from outside of State. They tax at the recommended original retail value. Lol. Ok. My $40k B-body retail value in 1969? Was under $4k. I have yet to run across this new policy. I guess it's better than everyone just lying? Salvage titles are exempt.
Pa. Does fair market value. Being from Minnesota I'm going to assume you know rusty cars/trucks. The states values on used cars (pre-now) are optimistic to say the least. Classic cars I don't think they beat up too bad. All my junk was bought so long ago it wasn't applicable.
To the OP. You definitely need to have yours or trusted eyes on it. A knowledgeable parts guy on speed dial would help.

Pa. Does fair market value. Being from Minnesota I'm going to assume you know rusty cars/trucks. The states values on used cars (pre-now) are optimistic to say the least. Classic cars I don't think they beat up too bad. All my junk was bought so long ago it wasn't applicable.
To the OP. You definitely need to have yours or trusted eyes on it. A knowledgeable parts guy on speed dial would help.
I guess cars from with in State are not subject. So the lying still works. Again. I guess this was new to 2019. Thus haven't been in them waters. But that can change in a heartbeat of course if one runs across that deal that is a must?

lets assume he did not want to pay taxes in Kalifornia...
Now he would have to pay fines and fees ( thousands) for NOT licensing it or not showing the KALifornia DMV he had it and it would be unlicensed, which brings us back to not paying sales tax on it.... A possibility here....

Solution: get the F*CK out of Kookafornia.
How is anyone going to know how long you had the car? Are they spying on everyone? (a distinct possibility which is why I cover my plates at car shows). If you're stupid enough to tell them you've had it for ten years and didn't register it, you deserve to get fined.

The car is in California, it has a Minnesota title signed off by the owner the current seller bought it from some years ago. Open title, just the owners signature, no dates or any other sales information on the title.

That's awesome, you can make up anything you want.

That's awesome, you can make up anything you want.
We do most private sales like that. But I think the State is on to us?
They used to not care. But I think they have been watching Mecum and Barrett Jackson? Lol.

Which leads to a different topic regarding auction sales and purchasing? Certainly a better paper trail?

Solution: get the F*CK out of Kookafornia.
How is anyone going to know how long you had the car? Are they spying on everyone? (a distinct possibility which is why I cover my plates at car shows). If you're stupid enough to tell them you've had it for ten years and didn't register it, you deserve to get fined.
And then he would have to pay sales tax on it if declared it as a new purchase if he changed it into his name now.. Its a tax tax deal no matter which way it goes... Cash, here is the title, NO tax..

How would you feel about a floated title if the car came from out of country? Specifically, Canada? Would you buy a car that had the customs paperwork etc., but not have been registered, titled in the US yet?

And then he would have to pay sales tax on it if declared it as a new purchase if he changed it into his name now.. Its a tax tax deal no matter which way it goes... Cash, here is the title, NO tax..

Exactly, no tax. I'm not fond of these clowns knowing what I have.

I took a close look at the title for this car. This may be a problem, it has been a problem for me in Indiana. The owners name on the title, using this name for example, John Quincy Adams, since I do not want to put the mans real name out on the internet. Is spelled out in three words. John Quincy Adams. Where the owner/seller is supposed to sign the title as seller, he wrote John Q Adams. In Indiana that title gets denied.

I had this happen before and had to track down the seller and get them to fill out and notorize additional state issued documents saying they incorrectly wrote there name. Problem with this title, the owner/seller is dead.

Auto Transport Service
Back