• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sob Story-Am I Stingy?

I thought about giving him a taco, but not until after he already left.
Why give him a taco if he isn't even there? How can anyone eat a taco if they are not near the taco ?

1 laugh 3.jpg

Look, I see a lot of roasting comments on here and adding their 2 cents . Heh, I’ll add mine too….

If the young fellow is hard working, does a good job and is honest of intent….and you can afford it, give him the money. Life lessons are everywhere and exact their own toll and don’t care about paying it forward. Does this fellow respect you? I bet he does, and probably sees your reliability and will work harder to prove his to you…..

Look, I see a lot of roasting comments on here and adding their 2 cents . Heh, I’ll add mine too….

If the young fellow is hard working, does a good job and is honest of intent….and you can afford it, give him the money. Life lessons are everywhere and exact their own toll and don’t care about paying it forward. Does this fellow respect you? I bet he does, and probably sees your reliability and will work harder to prove his to you…..
I like the positivity in this post. :thumbsup:

Paying someone less than minimum wage IS stingy guy...

Tightwad...Scrooge McDuck...Cheapskate...No tip leavin cheap......

Well your basing your opinion on US wages, the O/P lives in La Paz Mexico...

First realize that one Peso is worth about 5 cents....

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 9.39.57 PM.png

That puts the minimum DAILY wage at $7.085 US... So perspective should be a part of your judging people...

i'd give him the 10........ if he pays it back, great.......if he doesn't, F him; 10 bucks is cheap to get rid of a mooch

Its pretty situational based. As you stated, he asked previously and then worked the 2 hours to pay it off, so it isn't like he is a free loader. If he is trying to make ends meet (whatever that means to him) and is truly using the money to feed himself, I would probably give it to him especially given the amount (assuming you can spare it). To be very honest, I am not a "charitable" person generally, I don't trust or like most people generally however if someone is a proven entity and someone I like I will help them out without issue so long as that person is trying to help themselves.

Given that you posted this on here I would hazard to say that you are struggling with the decision. If this young man is truly struggling and you value his work/assistance then you know the right answer.

You didn't give us any information on the kid.

Because there's a big difference if it's a chubby 17 year old vs a skin-and-bones 11 year old orphan...

Mexico is the wild west, atleast he isn't in a gang or being trafficked. He clearly is determined to work.

But I fully understand your reasoning for not giving him a advance.

Myself? I'd probably give the kid the $10 and something to eat. I know you're not exactly poor since you are involved in such an expensive hobby.

Just my 2¢ (or $10) :D

Keeping up the advances and handouts ....the kid will never learn. All too often those who cry for help or have their hand out usually end up biting the hand that fed them in the first place. Seen it happen a lot. Ungratefulness to the extreme.

If this kid is truly a good worker, how about creating some work for him, then it won't feel like an advance....more like job creation, and it hopefully encourages him to be more eager to come to help you out with other chores in future. :)

Remember, charity begins at home....look after yourself before you reach out for others.

Too many people are all too eager to relieve you of your hard-earned income.

Sounds like this was a kids you know and he has been working with you for a while. If it were me, I would have given him the money and let him work it off. If he didn't follow through on working it off, then he would never work for me again and lost out on more income. A net loss to him. If he continues to work, then you can continue for foster the work ethic and maybe have a discussion with him about advances on income.

I choose my charities very carefully and am very generous with my time, money, and influence to those I think are truly deserving. To me, a neighborhood kid who is actually working for the money is a no brainer.

It’s never easy figuring out whether to give a handout or not. So many are working you to get money for booze or drugs, or just plain lazy, that sometimes honest people that are down on their luck get lost in that crowd.

Most I’ve been confronted with are the former.

I remember pulling up for gas in Victorville CA 7 years ago and the car in the lane and pump in front of me had a couple that said they needed money for gas. I said, no problem, when I get done filling up here I’ll put 5 gallons in your car. They looked legit.

When I went to pump the gas in their car, it shut off after a little more than a gallon. I looked at the guy, who didn’t look me in the eye. They didn’t need gas. They wanted money for Booze/drugs/etc.

Another time in SOCAL I pulled up to the pump during a heat wave. A raggedy looking guy approached me and asked if I had a couple bucks for some water. I said I’d do him one better, and I reached into my cooler I had full of water and ice in the car (was on my way to a swap meet) and handed him an ice cold bottle of water. He looked at me and said he didn’t need it, and walked off.

I never, ever, give money. But I have bought food.

Given that you posted this on here I would hazard to say that you are struggling with the decision. If this young man is truly struggling and you value his work/assistance then you know the right answer.
At least for the Dibbon's particular situation, this nails it on the head pretty much.
We sometimes do things that we second guess later on, then seek opinions of others in an effort to support our decision to do what we did - an effort to achieve some more peace of mind with it.
Men are "fixers" - we like things in life to be very blunt, very black and white, right or wrong - but very clear to make decisions by.
Well, life ain't black and white - and I sound like my sister here - but a long stream of variations of all the grays between the two, so males struggle with decisions made a lot.
All part of it. Hopefully we remember next time and let that temper our future decisions, too.

Neighborhood kid, then you know him. He works for you once in awhile, well that's a different story. How old is this " kid ". Is it true, that he doesn't have enough to eat. There are parts to this story you're leaving out or you would have just given him the money. There're many lessons in life to learn and one is, giving your word. My father always said, loyalty, your word and honesty are first. If he gives his word, which is all we have, then we're good here. If he's a kid in the neighborhood, you know where he lives. Let him learn the meaning of giving his word and if he fails, there are other lessons he is then taught, that carry ever lasting consequences. There were many times in my life I was given a few bucks in advance with my word I would pay it back. I did just fine in life and I remember those that were kind to me and I have been there for them. Good kids will never forget, I didn't! Ten bucks is cheap for him to learn a very good lesson in life that he will never forget, if he's a good kid, at this point only you know that.......

There’s a young man I know who is very ambitious, and always trying to find ways to make money. He and his Dad cut down a tree that was blocking access to their backyard, and they both split up the wood into a big pile. I needed some wood for campfires around here and saw the hand written sign he made for selling wood to make money, so I asked him how much it was. He told me $50 for a whole truckload. I told him that was too much wood for such a small price, so I told him I wanted $20 worth, one layer stacked across that back of my truck so I could get it out. Not only did he stack it nice and neat, and up to the top of the bed, but he also gave me big pieces on one side and smaller pieces on the other. Then he gave me a pile of kindling, and a couple bags of starter, which was wood shavings that he bagged up while it was still dry. That kind of service should be rewarded, so I gave him $25. I also told him to go to the party store and offer to sell them the whole pile, as they have a wood box that they separate into $10 bundles for state park campers.

I must also say, that is the best burning wood I’ve had for a campfire, burns nice and bright, clean and no crackling. I’m going back to get another load, if there’s any left.

Oh yea, Liam is 8 years old! take care of these young guys and they’ll take care of the world!

The OP already did that. The kid came back anyway. To me...that would be a dealbreaker.

A smart kid would have asked "hey man, I need some money...what can I do for you right now, to earn $20?"

But I guess in today's welfare/entitlement state...people don't think that way anymore.

There is a difference, in my opinion, between a gift and an advance on future work. The gift could be shown as appreciation or just helping someone out in a pinch. The advance was an expectation that the giver would receive something for their money.

By the way, adults even honest, trust worthy, hard working adults, ask for and receive an advance on their paycheck all the time. It's called a credit card.

my friend here at work ,when I first started, he had a friend that came around almost every day talking about music and playing in a band , my friend did too, anyway he asks him for $20 bucks till payday so my friend hands it over , we didn't see this guy around for like 8 years after that and he works here too, never did pay him back, I told him that was the best $20 bucks he ever spent

It's called a credit card.
...which you can only get, if you have acceptable credit.

And, depending on your credit history, your repayment schedule and cost (also known as "interest rate") can be low and manageable...or crazy-expensive.

A credit card isn't a "given". Handouts shouldn't be either. The OP didn't owe the kid anything; in fact, he'd already told the kid "never again". That's the same as having your credit card revoked by the bank. When that happens, you get to work twice as hard to re-establish your credit, before you can get another card. The lack of "do you have anything I can do to earn" tells me the kid wasn't interested in rebuilding his credit with that particular lender.

Perhaps the solution for the OP is, next time he sees the kid, to tell him "look, I've always got stuff that needs to get done - if you ask me what can I do instead of can you advance me money....you'll have a better shot. But, if you need money now...you need to work now."

My opinion will mean nothing, I'm a softy with kids but I garrantee the first thing that would have come to mind is filling his belly. No kid should ever have to worry about eating. I agree, it would have been better for him to offer to earn it right then and there though.

Auto Transport Service
Back