• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sob Story-Am I Stingy?

A lot of nice posts on helping others in need…legit or otherwise. I’m kind of an easy mark sometimes giving a few bucks. My daughter lived in Miami Beach for a couple years taking a job in Miami out of college (glad we moved her da eff out of there last spring for another job). Wife and I would go there 2 or 3 times a year to visit – the homeless pop is pretty ripe there. Each time I’d see a guy without arms gone up to the shoulders and he was incredibly adept using his feet as hands. One early morning walking to get a coffee before the throngs of people were out, I ran across him sitting by a curb. He was eating his breakfast out of a can. Never saw him publicly ‘beg’ for money; he was just around. I stopped and handed him a 20. He hesitated saying “Would you like to take a picture”? I replied “No, no need for that…ahh people ask to get a pic with ya huh?” He shook his head affirmatively. I thought to myself, gotta be kiddin…get a photo shoot of a guy without arms? For friggin what…to share on FB friends?

Sad deal with many of the homeless sorts I viewed around there – they look like zombies likely mentally effed or totally gone on alcohol or drugs. Then have heard stories of beggers making a fine living too!

Heard a bell ringing on the corner of a street in Tijuana. Turned around to see an adult lying on the sidewalk in a baby crib. He was shaking his head side to side with a dinner bell in his mouth to make it ring. He had no arms and no legs. Saddest sight in my life so far.

My neighbor served 4 years in the Marines and is 80% disabled. You just apply, pass the Academy and you become a Cop, it's not that complicated!

Oh, OK
I just figured if you were 80% disabled you would have some type of physical or mental issue that would not allow you to perform the duties required as a LEO.
I was in the Army and served in Airborne/Ranger units and the guys I knew who had that level of disability had really messed up bodies. Screwed up backs or shot off limbs and stuff.

:rofl:

It was!
And, they are on the same Time Zone .....you are right on 69a100!!!!!

:lol:

Why would I lie about something as cool as a Hot Dog?

Oh, OK
I just figured if you were 80% disabled you would have some type of physical or mental issue that would not allow you to perform the duties required as a LEO.
I was in the Army and served in Airborne/Ranger units and the guys I knew who had that level of disability had really messed up bodies. Screwed up backs or shot off limbs and stuff.

Not everybody that's disabled is confined to a wheelchair with missing body parts and attached to a colotomy bag and a drool cup!

Oh, OK
I am rated at 60% and was able to work until I retired in 2011. It isn't an automatic not able to work thing as it can be health related verses physically rated...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Just to toss another angle on this subject, I can't help but notice the relative lack of
anyone mentioning the "pay it forward" factor that may come into play in some of these
scenarios.
You know what I mean - there's surely been a time or two in everyone's life when someone
else helped them out when it was greatly appreciated (I might know something about that, eh?),
so it becomes sort of a "thing" to want to do the same for another when the right moment
presents itself to you later on in life.
It could be little things - common courtesies paid to your fellow citizen, for example - or it
could seem like a little thing at the time and wind up being a major, life memory sort of thing
for the recipient in later years, making them want to "pay it forward" too!?!

Just a thought....ok, resume being hardasses now. :)

Oh, OK
Just to toss another angle on this subject, I can't help but notice the relative lack of
anyone mentioning the "pay it forward" factor that may come into play in some of these
scenarios.
You know what I mean - there's surely been a time or two in everyone's life when someone
else helped them out when it was greatly appreciated (I might know something about that, eh?),
so it becomes sort of a "thing" to want to do the same for another when the right moment
It could be little things - common courtesies paid to your fellow citizen, for example - or it
could seem like a little thing at the time and wind up being a major, life memory sort of thing

I have no problem with paying it forward given the right conditions to the right people, but just to give money just because, does nothing to better the recipient or their situation! Quite the contrary to do the opposite and make them a bigger burden on society!

scenarios.

I certainly wish you would re-consider your "placing me on IGNORE"
Gee, that'd be paying it forward for me....

:thumbsup:

Not everybody that's disabled is confined to a wheelchair with missing body parts and attached to a colotomy bag and a drool cup![/QUOTE]

Ok
I guess I just don't know the ins and outs of the disability thing......

I have no problem with paying it forward given the right conditions to the right people, but just to give money just because, does nothing to better the recipient or their situation! Quite the contrary to do the opposite and make them a bigger burden on society!
Good thing that wasn't what I suggested in my post....at all..... then, huh?

Ah, heck...the Kid probably needs a break...
3rd world Country
Living in despair
Perhaps his only Role Model is our fellow Forum member DIBBONS.
I certainly would be there for him...

Personally believe DIBBONS is doing the correct thing.
Gee, I've been to plenty of 3rd World Countries, not a fair place for a kid to grow up in, not many chances.
In my "book" DIBBONS "did good"

DIBBONS, your my HERO, Role Model for the week!

:thumbsup:

Gee, I helped a convicted Felon a few times.
Had to report it to my Security Manager (D.O.D)
He borrowed $600 from me, worked it off. Then borrowed another $600, flew the coop.
I don't wish him any harm etc.
Thank God I could afford it.

Yup, but I believe in Karma...
OIP.-wsohqQgX13jP1zGG-M0DAHaHR.jpeg

My neighbor served 4 years in the Marines and is 80% disabled. You just apply, pass the Academy and you become a Cop, it's not that complicated!

Sounds like someone has REALLY low hiring standards...

Sounds like someone has REALLY low hiring standards...
Aw, c'mon.....
Don't judge a man/woman until you walk in their shoes.....
A quote by Mary Veronica Ryan... my grandmother, arrived in America 1909...helped raise me in the 50s and 60s.....

it's difficult to understand, but being a disabled VET myself, we are truly a bargain to the Industrial/Technological market....
Just saying...
IMO a 60-80 percent Vet is more valuable than a 25 year old today....

OIP.ShzV4PsW_k7MZVN0dDDw0wHaFh.jpeg

HIRE ME!!!
OIP.43PMwyNSpJG-2NgxqKojTAHaKl.jpeg

Future CEOs
OIP.sji-XC_fLyltIHT4PCp1kwHaEo.jpeg

The last time I filled someone's tank for them at a gas station I remember they were very thankful and took my address to reimburse me. Still waiting ...

Same thing several years ago. Young soldier on his way back to Ft Lewis was stuck, short on funds. He had a couple hundred miles to go. So, I dug into my NCO fund and helped him out. Gave him my address and he gave me his unit and his First Sergeants name.

several months later I got a check in the mail paying me back.

Same thing several years ago. Young soldier on his way back to Ft Lewis was stuck, short on funds. He had a couple hundred miles to go. So, I dug into my NCO fund and helped him out. Gave him my address and he gave me his unit and his First Sergeants name.

several months later I got a check in the mail paying me back.
Even if you didn’t receive a check, YOU did the right thing. Life isn’t always a even sum game, as long as YOU believe you’ve done the right thing, it’s all good.

You’re a good man.

The neighborhood kid that helps out here around the house/yard/vehicle once in awhile (painting, raking leaves, helping me bleed the brakes) came by late this afternoon asking for an advance of the next two hours labor he may put in later this week. A big sob story how some other "employer" promised to pay him today but failed to do so, and how now he didn't have enough to eat.

Well, he asked for an advance like this a few months ago, which took me by surprise at a weak moment and I agreed to spot him enough for his normal daily wage which was 2 hours @ $5.00 US dollars/hour = $10.00 bucks (not Mexican pesos). But I made it very, very clear this would be a one-time arrangement and I would never expect him to ask for an advance ever again, and neither would I be lending out any more wages beforehand. He finally showed up a few days after the "loan" when he worked two hours for "free" in order to pay me back.

My response to his renewed request today was an emphatic "no", reminding him what was explained the first time he requested an advance (never again), and explaining to him as well that it was not my personal problem to compensate him for the dishonesty of another "employer". If he was telling the truth today, I'm sorry for his misfortune, but that's life. Based on past personal negative experiences, I could foresee in the future this type of request becoming more & more the norm if I did not stop it in its tracks today.

I don't ever remember myself asking for an advance from any of my own employers. I do remember pawning my guitar once between paychecks in order to help pay the rent.

View attachment 1141811
Have a heart. If he paid you back before give him one more chance. It's only 10 bucks. I've been burned before 2. You can usually judge their character.

Auto Transport Service
Back