• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sob Story-Am I Stingy?

I don't know about anyone else (and I may have reached official "grumpy old man" status),
but these days when I'm presented with a young person with ANY work ethic to display at all,
I'm inclined to want to encourage it.
As you might imagine after decades in the trades, I've met all manner of younger folks who
just don't give a rats' *** about what they do for a living; we'll go through a dozen to find one
with the combination of work ethic and mechanical aptitude for the gig as a result.
Those a good company will grab hold of and keep and I love teaching them the trade. :thumbsup:

Being the kid has parents and grandparents, I had my doubts about his empty stomach.
I've been visiting Mexico since the 60's parents/grandparents born in El Paso TX. I've seen lots of kids w parents n grandparents in Mexico who worked to provide for them. Horrible situation, but a real one nonetheless.

I've seen a lot too. I lived in Tijuana for 5 years, 10 years in La Paz, and 5 years in El Paso (Border Patrol Agent). Visited Cuba during Easter Week of 2003.

Well...You do live in Mexico and that is to be expected there. Just sayin' is all...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Well...You do live in Mexico and that is to be expected there. Just sayin' is all...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Yeah,
I understand and agree
The kid has no Role model
He see's that asking you has worked before, perhaps it will work again?

But, I am a softie...
I f I had the cash, I would give it to him BUT I would tell him, you screw this up, the Bank Doors will be shut.
(no more money)

Seriously, you're worried about ten lousy bucks ?!?! Ya ever heard of "paying it forward" you cheap prick ?!?! I'd be sleeping with one eye open from now on if I were you !!

So says the person that has no morale or scruples to teach someone the value of a dollar and how to spend it wisely, probably has no Father figure in his life to teach them these things! You sound like this statement!
"I want what I want when I want it, and NO is unacceptable"!
It's no wonder kids today don't give a **** about anything with a attitude like yours!!

So, a little update on my above story. I stopped at the party store by my house, and the owner was there. I asked him where he bought his wood, and he told me he had to buy from a company because he couldn’t find it local. I told him about my entrepreneur friend and he said to bring him by, so I went and picked him up in the Roadrunner and up to the store we went. We talked about how much wood he had, the price of wood, and how to present an offer to the store owner. Long story short, he went in with a business offer, made the deal, and shook the mans hand, and promised to deliver all the wood and stack it this weekend.

I’m not in this world to do anything but treat people right, and try to help others do the same. I helped Liam by steering him towards the deal, but he did all the work. I hope this stays with him as a lesson on how to treat others as well, and I think it will. I’ve done what I set out to do, and I’m very proud of him. He is saving to buy a 4 wheeler, and I can understand that fully.

Here’s the future of our world, and probably a future gear head too. He really loved riding in the Roadrunner.

FFB2EFA7-D44E-41A8-A137-F0BD6BA0A91E.jpeg

:rofl::rofl:
Worked my paper route from 12-14, bussed tabled n washed dishes 14-16, gas station 16-17, joined Army at 17 and did 23 yrs and 80% disability, 18 yrs as a cop n medically retired. My kids went to college and so did their husbands, paid off all loans n then they bought houses. Let me know when your perceived work ethic matches.

How do you become a Police Officer if you are 80% disabled from the Army?
Just curious?

added the story;
I rarely give out handouts when asked
been screwed a few times

especially not to strangers, it's a scam most the time

I have bought people food
& dog food even

Once to a guy sort of younger (maybe late 20's)
this was Sac./Roseville Ca area,
that guy was obviously having a hard time
I asked him about his dog, struck up a conversation
he wasn't begging, I struck up the convo...
Eventually
He asked for money to buy dog food, not money for himself
said; 'he'd even go in with me to buy it'
he was sort of in the shade & didn't look really well
the dog looked to be starving & panting too

anyway

I was just there to get a sandwich & drink for lunch

when I came out of the store
I gave him a loaf of good whole wheat bread
a package of bologna a couple of apples
& a 10# bag of Purina Pro-One, & a 2ltr bottle of water
he could eat for a day at least & his dog would have food for 5+ days

1st thing he did was pull a couple of bowls out of his pack
& he fed the dog & gave him some water
then stood up & tanked me, said it was very generous
he then asked me if he could work to pay it off ?
He said he was doing landscaping & lost his job, lost his car
he was from Salinas IIRC & was now homeless,
trying to get to his family in Nv
for 3 days now, couldn't get a ride (I assume he was hitchhiking) etc.

For some reason he seemed like he really needed help
I don't fall for the sob stories & I rarely do that stuff
I usually tell people panhandling 'get a job' ,
most a lazy scam artists
"yes I'm that asshole",
I've worked hard my whole life & had hard times too
I had family to fall back on but never tried to beg for it...
I earned it...

But he was trying to get somewhere, not just asking for a handout
he didn't ask for it either, not what came next anyway
he did org. ask for his animal, that made me think he's for real
& probably a decent person...
I had him get in the back of my truck
took him to the YMCA, he got a shower & cleaned up
I went to the bus station, bought him a ticket to Reno
it was $29...
Iwas going to leave it at the counter with the receptionist to give to him
I figured I hadn't done a truly good deed, in a while
so here was someone that really needed help
I felt bad for the dog too, nice young lab (yes I'm a animal softy)

the ticket was for like 7:00pm & it was like 3:00pm
he sees me again all showered & cleaned up
thanks, me again, literally in tears now
So he offered to do some work to pay for the ticket
while waiting, till the evening to get on the bus...

I again was sort of shocked

I wasn't in my home town, I was doing a Job 85 miles away
or I would have taken him to do some yard work
he struck me as a person that was just in trouble
needed a lil' help...

I felt good & he got to where he needed to...

So, a little update on my above story. I stopped at the party store by my house, and the owner was there. I asked him where he bought his wood, and he told me he had to buy from a company because he couldn’t find it local. I told him about my entrepreneur friend and he said to bring him by, so I went and picked him up in the Roadrunner and up to the store we went. We talked about how much wood he had, the price of wood, and how to present an offer to the store owner. Long story short, he went in with a business offer, made the deal, and shook the mans hand, and promised to deliver all the wood and stack it this weekend.

I’m not in this world to do anything but treat people right, and try to help others do the same. I helped Liam by steering him towards the deal, but he did all the work. I hope this stays with him as a lesson on how to treat others as well, and I think it will. I’ve done what I set out to do, and I’m very proud of him. He is saving to buy a 4 wheeler, and I can understand that fully.

Here’s the future of our world, and probably a future gear head too. He really loved riding in the Roadrunner.

View attachment 1142094
that goes along with the teach a man to fish
& he will eat for life, mantra

he just learned a great life lesson

work hard & get rewarded

no just a handout, he earned it

you're a good man
sounds like he was raised well too,
his parents must be teaching him a good work ethics
if he's out cutting stacking wood a 8 y/o

I hope he gets enough to get his 4 wheeler
be good to have him in the hoby

Last edited:
Smiley big green check mark.jpg

Keeping up the advances and handouts ....the kid will never learn. All too often those who cry for help or have their hand out usually end up biting the hand that fed them in the first place. Seen it happen a lot. Ungratefulness to the extreme.

If this kid is truly a good worker, how about creating some work for him, then it won't feel like an advance....more like job creation, and it hopefully encourages him to be more eager to come to help you out with other chores in future. :)

Remember, charity begins at home....look after yourself before you reach out for others.

Too many people are all too eager to relieve you of your hard-earned income.
Bingo !!
Those that bite the very hand that feeds or helped them...
Or not support those that helped them, when they 'allegedly' needed it...
Then attack them very people ^^ ruthlessly for no reason, to look big
or like the smartest guy in the room or just for Pity sake, poor Lil' me crap,
playing the victim so very well & so very often...

some just don't stop

Bingo Most Interesting man finger point.gif

How do you become a Police Officer if you are 80% disabled from the Army?
Just curious?
My neighbor served 4 years in the Marines and is 80% disabled. You just apply, pass the Academy and you become a Cop, it's not that complicated!

Epilogue: The kid showed up looking for work today. Gave him a steel bristle brush, leaf blower, and some paint so he could work on a bare concrete exterior wall for a couple of hours (2). Lucky for him that was the corner of the house still in the shade.

So he makes another $200.00 Mexican Pesos which comparing to Mexican Federal law works out to about three times the minimum which is a "daily wage" that works out to about $1.50 USD an hour. So I don't feel I'm taken advantage of anyone paying $5.00 USD an hour.

There was no discussion regarding yesterdays "loan request".

Last edited:
Epilogue: The kid showed up looking for work today. Gave him a bristle brush, leaf blower, and some paint so he could work on a bare concrete exterior wall for a couple of hours (2). Lucky for him that was the corner of the house still in the shade.

So he makes another $200.00 Mexican Pesos which comparing to Mexican Federal law works out to about three times the minimum which is a "daily wage" that works out to about $1.50 USD an hour. So I don't feel I'm taken advantage of anyone paying $5.00 USD an hour.

thanks for the update...

seems he figured it out
maybe even learned a good life lesson in the meantime

& you get a helper every so often too

You did well & it was fair... :thumbsup:

The last time I filled someone's tank for them at a gas station I remember they were very thankful and took my address to reimburse me. Still waiting ...
THIS happened to me once about 12 years ago...yeah...go figure...I'M still waiting too. What's the saying? Nice guys finish...LAST.

Epilogue: The kid showed up looking for work today. Gave him a bristle brush, leaf blower, and some paint so he could work on a bare concrete exterior wall for a couple of hours (2). Lucky for him that was the corner of the house still in the shade.

What I find interesting is an ex border agent living on the other side. Must be a women involved

I was doing a gig in a nearby city, and the event was on the 2nd floor. During break, my band mates all went out to smoke, I don’t smoke so I stayed inside. I was looking out the window and I could see at least 6 panhandlers circling the block, bugging any and all not of their kind. Next break, I went out with my mates to be confronted by the panhandlers and hear their stories. Some whoppers to be sure, and I dismissed them all but one, who came up to me and said…”I’m not gonna bullshit ya, I need $2 for a jumbo”. That guy got my money! Honesty goes a long way with me, and I was glad to buy him a beer!

Auto Transport Service
Back