• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold off some of my Schwinn Krate collection.

SteveSS

Local time
3:49 PM
Reaction score
I've been selling some of my Schwinn Sting Rays and Krates. Tonight I sold a blue Sting Ray with a springer front end, a brand new Grey Ghost, and a brand new, still-in-the-box Apple Krate. Made some good profit but still sad. I still have a new Lemon Peeler and a used Pea Picker.

I just talked to a guy 2 weeks ago that was selling his vintage car so he could fill his garage with those bikes.

1696562797929.png

I sold my new stuff for $600, and the used Sting Ray for $500. You can still get an Orange Krate or Coal Krate on Amazon for about $620. At Walmart, a Grape Krate is $900 and the Coal Krate is $1025 but that's someone filling in for Walmart. Normally about $800. I bought mine directly from Schwinn for $400. You can't do that anymore. I still have an older repro Green Pea Picker but it's not in great shape for $425.
Lemon Peeler.jpg
Grey ghost 2.jpg
Apple Krate 1.jpg
Sting Ray1.jpg

Last edited:
The really weird one in my collection is called a Big Mo. (I think.) When Schwinn was doing the OCC Chopper Sting Rays this company (I don't know their name) made a knockoff of it. I dunno it might have been before the OCC Sting Ray. It's slightly larger and better built than the Schwinn when I compared them side by side. It also already has an extra sprocket on the left side of the rear wheel so you can mount a motor to the frame. I bought it from some Taiwanese businessmen in my neighborhood. At first, I thought it was a prototype for the Sting Ray and then Schwinn decided to go with a cheaper version. Anyway, it's brand new. Never ridden. Still in its packing foam. $700. This still may be a prototype for the Big Mo because it has very generic decals. There is no company decal or a Big Mo decal. No country of origin sticker or engraving. Weird huh? I was asking $900 but no one knows what the F it is so I'm lowering the price.

Mods, I'm not trying to sell here, just telling a crazy bicycle story for the bike people. The people that bought these three were a cute older Hispanic couple. I told them they had to leave me with at least one.

mo1.jpg
mo2.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back