• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some people shouldn't do bodywork....

This “body work” was on the Charger when I purchased it in April 1985. It’s obviously gotten a little worse in almost 40 years of outside storage. The 12 gauge shell has been there since then as well. I’m afraid to disturb it! :)
FD3E3E1A-174A-464A-A88D-7229A2E65308.jpeg
A55CE6DF-2A2E-4198-9388-8FCC80976836.jpeg

Pic from ‘88 when it was my daily.
1C439928-FB09-4925-8ADE-A9CA7ED6B052.jpeg

Last edited:
I knew when I bought my car that patch panels were used in the quarters. It looked fair, but the wheel moldings were missing more than likely they wouldn't have fit over the work that was done.

I'm not to worried about an amateur using body filler, most of the time they don't use enough or don't put it in the correct location. Using too much is somewhat rare. And their concept of straight is lost, they understand smooth. It can preserve the car and is easily corrected. I'm much more concerned when they attempt to use a grinder to smooth the metal or strip off paint. 20 ga metal can be quickly overheated and warped, or literally ground away till there is nothing. This can quickly total a car.

Just went through the same thing on my 67. We uncovered a lot of bondo and decided to replace both quarters.

They were supposed to be good to paint but something didn't look right to which we uncovered lots of bondo and warping on both sides.

Glad we caught it so it will be right.

View attachment 1668180

View attachment 1668181
The quarters look perfect from my house.:lol:

Yup....Father Ted learned that the hard way.....

I believe I am one of the "some people shouldn't do body work". I can't say that I practiced any but knowing how fussy I am, I realized early on that I don't have the talent for it. I am happy to leave that part to someone else. My talents lie in the assembly process. That said, I guess there are plenty of people that shouldn't do that either.

if any of you guys could do it, I'd have to get a job :eek::eek::eek:

years and years ago when i was in the junkyard business, [1972-1984/85] a buddy and i were at the auto auction looking at a car.
an old guy popped his head between us, and in a most serious tone of voice said : "cars with bondo aren't safe........"
my buddy and i looked at each other in kind of wonder for a second, then to the old guy, but he was GONE !
we looked for him the rest of the sale, but couldn't find him. looked for him at other sales over the years following, but never saw him again...........
we still talk about this incident to this day ! :drinks::lol:

years and years ago when i was in the junkyard business, [1972-1984/85] a buddy and i were at the auto auction looking at a car.
an old guy popped his head between us, and in a most serious tone of voice said : "cars with bondo aren't safe........"
my buddy and i looked at each other in kind of wonder for a second, then to the old guy, but he was GONE !
we looked for him the rest of the sale, but couldn't find him. looked for him at other sales over the years following, but never saw him again...........
we still talk about this incident to this day ! :drinks::lol:
Maybe he was in wreck. Lol

Back in '71-'72 I was doing used car work at a local Chrysler/Plymouth store. My two stalls were in the body shop since I did a lot of minor body/paint work in addition to mechanical repairs.

We had three body men in the same shop. Two were old school craftsmen. They would hammer/dolly and pick out any tiny defect in a new fender or quarter. One guy, Teddy, refused to use bondo....only lead for him.

Then there was "Bondolini"... One day he pulled in a mid 60's wagon that had a crushed rear quarter. I saw him pull 3' of masking paper off the roll, slither on a1/4" of plastic then slap it on that Plymouth 1/4 panel then layer another 1/4" on the outside of the panel then use a board file to cut it back for final sanding.

He didn't paint...the other guys had to finish his sloppy work and squirt on the color.

The used car mgr. loved him since he would do $500 worth of work for $150.

I saw lots of window screen, fiberglass and pop rivit work in my six years working for GM and Mopar dealers

20240503_171517.jpg

About an 03 windstar. I had to decline any further activities with this vehicle..
Looked fine on the outside with all the plastic cladding

I saw lots of window screen, fiberglass and pop rivit work in my six years working for GM and Mopar dealers

come on, window screen was pretty high tech in the day :lol:

I actually used a little the other day ...... not a joke :eek:

come on, window screen was pretty high tech in the day :lol:

I actually used a little the other day ...... not a joke :eek:
Well my '65 Coronet may see a bit under the trunk mat since getting it running is the #1 priority.

about 6 months ago I found 2 rolls of fiberglass screen from probably 1975. They were on top of the duct work in the basement.

I instantly knew what I would use it for!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back