• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something to help decode your VIN and Fender Tag 1968 ONLY

Chi Town Runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
Here's something I put together to assist in decoding 1968 ONLY - VIN info and FENDER TAG information.
Is it 100% correct? Nothing is 100% especially when it comes to Mopars. I've done my best to make it as accurate as I can. If you find an error other than an opinion let me know. Maybe the Mods may find this good enough for a sticky.

The PDF file is 4 pages.

Frank

Edited for Frank by Mod on 9 June 2021.

Attachments

• Vin Decode 8.June.21.pdf
    165.2 KB · Views: 3,592
Last edited by a moderator:
The decoding is accurate comparing to my vin tag....good job :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Bang on. This is a great reference. Much easier for 1968's than I have seen before. Very good work!

Looks correct to me compared to a couple others I have saved. Nice work compiling it all into a useable database.

Made it a Sticky for now so it doesn't get buried. Are you still searching to fill gaps on Page 4?

Nice work. :thumbsup:
Sure, anything you got if I can fit it, and somehow I will.

And BTW, thanks for the sticky

Great reference. Thanks for posting.:thumbsup:
One minor typo. Page 2 has the 83 engine code 440 mag at 370hp. Should be 375.

Great reference. Thanks for posting.:thumbsup:
One minor typo. Page 2 has the 83 engine code 440 mag at 370hp. Should be 375.
Thanks Turbine68rt. I made the correction. I'll wait a little for any further errors found then update the original. I appreciate your information. It tells me there are actually people who care about correctness. I'm one of them.

very cool, simple to use. spot on for mine.

One more wrinkle...and I know the brain trust here at FBBO will know...this would be for a St Louis built car only? Lynch Rd's tag is different, correct?

Otherwise, a great decoder :thumbsup:

The base of my info for the fender tag was taken from my car and my car is a Lynch Rd. car. What specifically is different on the Fender Tag from a St. Louis built car. I am not aware of fender tag differences on a 1968 fender tag between plants. That doesn't mean there isn't but what are they?

The base of my info for the fender tag was taken from my car and my car is a Lynch Rd. car. What specifically is different on the Fender Tag from a St. Louis built car. I am not aware of fender tag differences on a 1968 fender tag between plants. That doesn't mean there isn't but what are they?

What was coded, when it was coded and even where it was coded on a tag varies from year to year, plant to plant and even within the year.

Yes, there are differences in what was coded and when it was coded between Lynch Road and St. Louis (plus you have to think about the LA plant too...). One of the reasons why decoders are frustrating and incomplete is they fail to account for the nuances in tag coding. Decoders must account for multiple plants and the differences in what each plant did during the year. They simply don't do this.

What was coded, when it was coded and even where it was coded on a tag varies from year to year, plant to plant and even within the year.

Yes, there are differences in what was coded and when it was coded between Lynch Road and St. Louis (plus you have to think about the LA plant too...). One of the reasons why decoders are frustrating and incomplete is they fail to account for the nuances in tag coding. Decoders must account for multiple plants and the differences in what each plant did during the year. They simply don't do this.

69Coronet - Thank you. I believe we have communicated with each other on the Moparts web site before. Without tying up this site is there a way that we can communicate off line and you can assist me in the differences in Fender Tag differences by plant? I'm sure I can add info on my sheet to address some of these nuances you know of. I defer to your expertise in this.
Thanks again for your incite.

Maybe sometime after Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

69Coronet - Thank you. I believe we have communicated with each other on the Moparts web site before. Without tying up this site is there a way that we can communicate off line and you can assist me in the differences in Fender Tag differences by plant? I'm sure I can add info on my sheet to address some of these nuances you know of. I defer to your expertise in this.
Thanks again for your incite.

Maybe sometime after Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Yes. I sent a PM . Let’s start there.

Digging up and laying out the data is so much fun. (NOT) An awful lot of work goes into these layouts and I have nothing but support for those who bite the bullet.

Biggest problem is dealing with Chrysler Corp information is Chrysler Corp.'s publications. Lots or errors and info carried forward from the previous year.

A couple of things. In the price class layout, you should remove "Swinger" from the Low Class as the Swinger did not appear until 1969. Also "X-Charger 500 (late '69)" should be in 1969. Should also remove "Duster" as the first Duster was in 1970.

New Stanton, PA, assembly plant was never finished and thus never used. Should really be removed from all Chrysler Corporation assembly plant lists. If you ever acquire any Chrysler production reports by assembly plant you will notice that all listings do not mention the New Stanton plant. Volkswagen bought the plant and got in production.

Your layout is clean and organized - very easy to read and follow.

spot on. according to my tag...... Lynch Rd build

Digging up and laying out the data is so much fun. (NOT) An awful lot of work goes into these layouts and I have nothing but support for those who bite the bullet.

Biggest problem is dealing with Chrysler Corp information is Chrysler Corp.'s publications. Lots or errors and info carried forward from the previous year.

A couple of things. In the price class layout, you should remove "Swinger" from the Low Class as the Swinger did not appear until 1969. Also "X-Charger 500 (late '69)" should be in 1969. Should also remove "Duster" as the first Duster was in 1970.

New Stanton, PA, assembly plant was never finished and thus never used. Should really be removed from all Chrysler Corporation assembly plant lists. If you ever acquire any Chrysler production reports by assembly plant you will notice that all listings do not mention the New Stanton plant. Volkswagen bought the plant and got in production.

Your layout is clean and organized - very easy to read and follow.

Thanks for your input Well appreciated. I will make the changes you recommend.
Thanks again
Frank

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back