• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something to help decode your VIN and Fender Tag 1968 ONLY

Just used this to decode a buddy's 68 road chicken......ordered by the buyer but still didn't have much on it. Seems if you wanted a SureGrip, it was the only way to get one. It's a coupe with auto and SG in bright blue met and 2 watt am radio with tinted glass and that's about it.

I just used it on my '68 (St.Louis) and noticed I have 43 for tires and you have a 48, which I assume is a typo for 43? Excellent job on this decoding reference, though.

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 10.10.49 AM.png

I just used it on my '68 (St.Louis) and noticed I have 43 for tires and you have a 48, which I assume is a typo for 43? Excellent job on this decoding reference, though.

View attachment 1120872
Yes, it was a typo on my part. Nice catch.
where I have 48 = E70x14 Redline fiberglass belted,
It should be 42 = E70x14 Redline fiberglass belted
Thank you for the correction.
I'll see how I can correct it.

I believe your tires would be
43 = 7.75x14 Whitewall steel belted
Thanks again.

Excellent info and my car is a Hamtramck, MI car. For row 1 the tires I have code 33.. somewhere I heard that was a 7.35x14. Dad drove this car out of the showroom and recalls it having redline tires.
40BCCD8B-E92C-4265-B68F-294BE0B23085.jpeg
C5A9E859-DF0A-401A-8190-D0691FF92983.jpeg
also wondering on the second line of the certicard can someone tell me what the T5 SA IIIO mean?
I have kind of a wired build...
was ordered sold and the story behind this is the guy who ordered it backed out due to finances. So sat in the showroom. Was ordered as a 290hp 383 2bbl, but when dad saw it and bought it had all the 383 magnum stuff on it. He bought it from the dealer as a 4bbl car. Also was ordered with 2.76 gears which was good for him as he would travel some 500 miles for university at the time usually go home once a month. In the eight years he drove the car he put 148,000 miles on it.

Excellent info and my car is a Hamtramck, MI car. For row 1 the tires I have code 33.. somewhere I heard that was a 7.35x14. Dad drove this car out of the showroom and recalls it having redline tires. View attachment 1123559View attachment 1123560also wondering on the second line of the certicard can someone tell me what the T5 SA IIIO mean?
was ordered sold and the story behind this is the guy who ordered it backed out due to finances. So sat in the showroom. Was ordered as a 290hp 383 2bbl, but when dad saw it and bought it had all the 383 magnum stuff on it. He bought it from the dealer as a 4bbl car. Also was ordered with 2.76 gears which was good for him as he would travel some 500 miles for university at the time usually go home once a month. In the eight years he drove the car he put 148,000 miles on it.

T5 = Automatic transmission
SA = Standard axle i.e. not SG Suregrip
IIIO= November 10th. Same as SPD of B10

Tire code 33 = 7.35x14 white walls.

A Magnum assembly also requires the correct cam and valve train as well as the 4bbl exhaust manifolds. It's more than simply adding a 4bbl.

2:76 gears were standard with the 383-2bbl automatic.

Nothing weird at all. Looks like a pretty standard build that may or may not have been modified by a dealer.

68_Charger_Axle_Ratios.jpg

Last edited:
T5 = Automatic transmission
SA = Standard axle i.e. not SG Suregrip
IIIO= November 10th. Same as SPD of B10

Tire code 33 = 7.35x14 white walls.

A Magnum assembly also requires the correct cam and valve train as well as the 4bbl exhaust manifolds. It's more than simply adding a 4bbl.

2:76 gears were standard with the 383-2bbl automatic.

Nothing weird at all. Looks like a pretty standard build that may or may not have been modified by a dealer.

View attachment 1123568
Thanks for the info! It’s really neat to find this info after searching for 20 years.
Weird thing is car had hp manifolds.?? But yes I agree likely the cam wasn’t changed. The original engine went missing back in ‘79 so I don’t have it to check. Just have another 2 ‘68 383’s that are non hp’s. Although when the engine blew in ‘79 maybe the hp manifolds were added then? I only showed up in ‘83 so I can’t say. Dad had sold the car to his cousin in 79-80 the car got parked in late 1980 and sat in a wet barn so we don’t know exactly what was changed from then till I got it back in 2000.

Here's something I put together to assist in decoding 1968 ONLY - VIN info and FENDER TAG information.
Is it 100% correct? Nothing is 100% especially when it comes to Mopars. I've done my best to make it as accurate as I can. If you find an error other than an opinion let me know. Maybe the Mods may find this good enough for a sticky.

The PDF file is 4 pages.

Frank

Edited for Frank by Mod on 9 June 2021.
This document is SUPER HELPFUL! Thank You Chi Town Runner!

Here's something I put together to assist in decoding 1968 ONLY - VIN info and FENDER TAG information.
Is it 100% correct? Nothing is 100% especially when it comes to Mopars. I've done my best to make it as accurate as I can. If you find an error other than an opinion let me know. Maybe the Mods may find this good enough for a sticky.

The PDF file is 4 pages.

Frank

I wish there was one of these for 1969

I wish there was one of these for 1969
Glad to help.
I can only speak to '68, and at that, I don't profess to be an expert.
There are people on here with far more knowledge than I.
In fact 69Coronetrt has helped me on occasion with his vast knowledge. Thanks

Just wanted to say this is dead on for my own '68 GTX (I have all the original paper and build sheet
on the car). Well done! :thumbsup:

Excellent info and my car is a Hamtramck, MI car. For row 1 the tires I have code 33.. somewhere I heard that was a 7.35x14. Dad drove this car out of the showroom and recalls it having redline tires. View attachment 1123559View attachment 1123560also wondering on the second line of the certicard can someone tell me what the T5 SA IIIO mean?
Your car shows a5 and b4 like mine. I just bought this GTX. The decoder shows a5 as center front seat and b4 as bucket seats. I don't understand which seats this car is supposed to have. I guess I'm asking what a center front seat is. Thanks.

68 GTX Fender Tag Cropped.jpg

Your car shows a5 and b4 like mine. I just bought this GTX. The decoder shows a5 as center front seat and b4 as bucket seats. I don't understand which seats this car is supposed to have. I guess I'm asking what a center front seat is. Thanks.

View attachment 1345616
Buckets were standard (S6B on the tag).
Optional was a console OR a fold down armrest 'buddy' seat that went between the bucket seats. b/5 indicates the fold down arm rest.

Click the link to see an example.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1968/68_Belvedere0008.jpg

The PDF file is 4 pages.

Frank

Thanks for the "great sixty-eight" Decoder! I have a question: The 68 Dodge RT my son and I bought is a US car, with a column shift tranny and front bench seats, matching the rear sea

The PDF file is 4 pages.

Frank

My son and I here in Canada bought 68 Dodge RT built in St. Louis---with front bench seats. People keep telling us RTs only came with buckets. It has a column shift, 150 mph speedo, and the fender tag reads S6C /split buckets and U1 sold/ordered car. No Broadcast sheet can be found. My question for the Forum: Could an RT be ordered with Bench Seats and still have that S6C Fender Tag? Or is it more likely that a previous owner changed out the buckets for for a split bench? Comments appreciated. :)

Thanks for the "great sixty-eight" Decoder! I have a question: The 68 Dodge RT my son and I bought is a US car, with a column shift tranny and front bench seats, matching the rear sea

My son and I here in Canada bought 68 Dodge RT built in St. Louis---with front bench seats. People keep telling us RTs only came with buckets. It has a column shift, 150 mph speedo, and the fender tag reads S6C /split buckets and U1 sold/ordered car. No Broadcast sheet can be found. My question for the Forum: Could an RT be ordered with Bench Seats and still have that S6C Fender Tag? Or is it more likely that a previous owner changed out the buckets for for a split bench? Comments appreciated. :)
Can you show a picture? It should be 2 buckets and a buddy seat in the middle if it's a column shift. A true bench didn't come out till 70 in a Charger.

Auto Transport Service
Back