• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something to help decode your VIN and Fender Tag 1968 ONLY

Based on the Hamtramck web site (https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1968/68_Coronet0008.jpg) the R/T came standard with bucket seats. You could order the "Optional" full-form bucket seats with a fixed center cushion and fold down center arm rest.
I don't "THINK" you could order a bench seat on an R/T from the factory
@69Coronetrt would be more knowledgeable on that.

On your fender tag what is the numbers under the top line a and b

Correct. You could not order a bench seat in an R/T.

and the fender tag reads S6C /split buckets and U1 sold/ordered car. No Broadcast sheet can be found. My question for the Forum: Could an RT be ordered with Bench Seats and still have that S6C Fender Tag? Or is it more likely that a previous owner changed out the buckets for for a split bench? Comments appreciated. :)

Changed. Code S6C on the tag tells us it came with buckets. There's nothing in the factory literature that shows a bench seat available for an R/T.

Or in a GTX that year, I owned one, and fewer than 40 were built.

A bench seat was available in the GTX for the 1970 model year. The Options and Accessories report tell us that at least 475 cars shipped for sale in the US came with the optional seat.

A bench seat was available in the GTX for the 1970 model year. The Options and Accessories report tell us that at least 475 cars shipped for sale in the US came with the optional seat.
Was the hounds tooth cloth and vinyl package an option within an option, or did they all come that way? Back in the day I couldn't get new upholstery from the factory, was told it was a scarce option.

Was the hounds tooth cloth and vinyl package an option within an option, or did they all come that way? Back in the day I couldn't get new upholstery from the factory, was told it was a scarce option.

Changed. Code S6C on the tag tells us it came with buckets. There's nothing in the factory literature that shows a bench seat available for an R/T.
Thank you. We're not going to worry about people telling us about it. Bench seats are great for a family, as I bet the previous owner knows: ours is a driver Road car, not a Show Car. And it's also now a 12.5 second Track car. RT! Cheers

Can you show a picture? It should be 2 buckets and a buddy seat in the middle if it's a column shift. A true bench didn't come out till 70 in a Charger.
Thank you. We're not going to worry about people telling us about it. Bench seats are great for a family, as I bet the previous owner knows, and ours is a driver ROAD car, not a Show Car. And it's also now a 12.5 second TRACK car. RT! Cheers

There were three different bench seat P3** cloth and vinyl interiors available for the GTX. One simply wrote on the order sheet which interior they wanted. There wasn't any option within an option.

Here The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1970 Plymouth Color & Trim Book - Belvedere

Then here

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/OrderingInformation/1970/plymouth/P34.jpg

There were three different bench seat P3** cloth and vinyl interiors available for the GTX. One simply wrote on the order sheet which interior they wanted. There wasn't any option within an option.

Here The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1970 Plymouth Color & Trim Book - Belvedere

Then here

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/OrderingInformation/1970/plymouth/P34.jpg

EXCELENT info 68Baby Blue. Thanks! Do you know if info like this exists for the St. Louis plant?

Here's something I put together to assist in decoding 1968 ONLY - VIN info and FENDER TAG information.
Is it 100% correct? Nothing is 100% especially when it comes to Mopars. I've done my best to make it as accurate as I can. If you find an error other than an opinion let me know. Maybe the Mods may find this good enough for a sticky.

The PDF file is 4 pages.

Frank

Edited for Frank by Mod on 9 June 2021.
Very nice. Used it on mine and details are exact. Thanks for the info. Found out some things I was looking to verify.

Here's something I put together to assist in decoding 1968 ONLY - VIN info and FENDER TAG information.
Is it 100% correct? Nothing is 100% especially when it comes to Mopars. I've done my best to make it as accurate as I can. If you find an error other than an opinion let me know. Maybe the Mods may find this good enough for a sticky.

The PDF file is 4 pages.

Frank

Edited for Frank by Mod on 9 June 2021.
Thank you so much for your work on this document! There are so many sites now promising "decoding" that are erroneous in some of the details. They just want to collect views. Research like this is golden and trustworthy to us. And yes, I understand that at the factory mistakes could well have been made on our Coronet RT, and that's ok, it's a true Road and 12.5 second Track car not a trailer queen show car. We love factory eggshell! :)

Auto Transport Service
Back