• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spare color

RobsRR

Local time
5:12 AM
Reaction score
For a 71 Roadrunner should the steel spare wheel be a semi-gloss black or more flat or a high gloss?

I would go with at least semi-gloss if not gloss, depending on the paint. Mine is semi-gloss Rustoleum and looks the closest to the area I cleaned up on the wheel before I painted it. Definitely not flat, and most the Satin paints seem too flat to me also. Spray cans kind of limit you to the 4 types of paints: flat, satin, semi-gloss and gloss. If you are shooting with mixed paint/spray gun you can do 70, 80, 90% gloss to get closer to original. I think the wheels tend to loose some of their shine over time due to dirt, scratches, etc. I found a spot on the wheel and cleaned/polished it really well so I could compare.

I would go with at least semi-gloss if not gloss, depending on the paint. Mine is semi-gloss Rustoleum and looks the closest to the area I cleaned up on the wheel before I painted it. Definitely not flat, and most the Satin paints seem too flat to me also. Spray cans kind of limit you to the 4 types of paints: flat, satin, semi-gloss and gloss. If you are shooting with mixed paint/spray gun you can do 70, 80, 90% gloss to get closer to original. I think the wheels tend to loose some of their shine over time due to dirt, scratches, etc. I found a spot on the wheel and cleaned/polished it really well so I could compare.
Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back