• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speed Sensor on 5.7 with Nag1?

Adding to this a little late, but I have a stand alone nag 1 solution. Picks up speed off magnets installed into an aluminum ring on the driveshaft
Can you provide info on this stand alone speed sensor? I just installed an 08 Charger drivetrain with NAG1, with the factory computer/electrical system, but no ABS/speed sensors. I'm wondering if the tranny will work at all without the sensors.

I HAVE DONE THIS EXACT SWAP!!!!!
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?1121-B-Body-stiffening[/url]
Please read my build thread, you can start about page 12 to get to the wiring/computer nightmare part!
Bottom line is this. if you do not get the tone rings and speed sensors from the donor car (5.7& NAG!) moved over it is NOT going to work.
What I ended up doing AFTER I had the engine, NAG1,complete dash and console, complete wiring harness,and even the HVAC system mounted in my 70 GTX from the donor 07 Charger. The only thing I did not fit in the GTX was the rear axle assembly from the 07 Charger,which is where the tone rings are mounted...
I bought a 5.7 ECM and harness from Modern Muscle. a stand alone TCM from Paramount Performance,and a complete harness for the entire car from Haywire.
The circuit board behind the instrument panel has all the circuitry for the body controls...heater, a/c etc.
We had to hack into the original harness so much we decided to rewire the entire car.
The transmission (NAG1) will NOT work in this set up unless you do the stand alone TCM. This was further compounded by the fact there was a split in the partnership at Paramount Performanceand the guy who was the NAG expert split. I finally got his # from Paramount and he has reprogrammed the TCM. I just got that back last week so I cannot even say it works yet.
Not trying to flame LXModguy ,but this is the TCM I got through him.
Bottom line is this.
The truck set up works for some reason I cannot explain. I have seen it set up in cars that work but I could never get all the details from the guys with those cars as to what it took. TONS of manual transmission/3 gen Hemi swaps and that works on a whole different level of computer programming that I cannot explain.
I only know I am where I am with this thing and it has cost me a **** ton of $$$$$ because nobody has a simple swap solution to this concept.
If you can engineer the speed sensor swap or just bring the entire rear axle over it might work out. i CAN tell you there was no way to get the speed sensors mounted on the axle in my 8 3/4 rear assembly. The only reason I did not bring the rear from the donor is because it was a re-engineering issue and hacking into the package tray would have been required.
Proceed with caution and a HUGE bank account!

Attachments

• IMG_1379.jpg
    IMG_1379.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1410.jpg
    IMG_1410.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 310
The truck trans works because the speed sensor's are in the trans and not located elsewhere.

I will tell you that I am not offering the controller any more. I have had no luck getting the supplier to support it. Unfortunately Darius isn't the only one that has had trouble. It is a working solution in some vehicles, but for whatever reason replicating it as a working solution is proving difficult.

The problem with the truck transmission is its a piece of crap. It doesn't hold squat for power. The gear arrangement sucks. My advice currently for anyone trying to run a late model trans is to run an adapter and a 4L60 or 4L80 GM overdrive. I have done several of them (including a 4L80 in my personal car). They work flawlessly, no speed sensor crap to overcome. The stock ecm can be setup as a manual trans. Or....do what I am doing on my current build, buy the holley efi setup and you can control your engine and trans with a single controller.

Sharadon Performance builds 545rfe transmission's that can hold quite a bit power.......but they are pricey!!

i put a speed sensor on the yoke of an 8 3/4 rear, works great

i put a speed sensor on the yoke of an 8 3/4 rear, works great

What transmission are you using? I am of the opinion based on experience that it isn't that simple with a NAG1.

I HAVE DONE THIS EXACT SWAP!!!!!
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?1121-B-Body-stiffening[/url]
Please read my build thread, you can start about page 12 to get to the wiring/computer nightmare part!
Bottom line is this. if you do not get the tone rings and speed sensors from the donor car (5.7& NAG!) moved over it is NOT going to work.
What I ended up doing AFTER I had the engine, NAG1,complete dash and console, complete wiring harness,and even the HVAC system mounted in my 70 GTX from the donor 07 Charger. The only thing I did not fit in the GTX was the rear axle assembly from the 07 Charger,which is where the tone rings are mounted...
I bought a 5.7 ECM and harness from Modern Muscle. a stand alone TCM from Paramount Performance,and a complete harness for the entire car from Haywire.
The circuit board behind the instrument panel has all the circuitry for the body controls...heater, a/c etc.
We had to hack into the original harness so much we decided to rewire the entire car.
The transmission (NAG1) will NOT work in this set up unless you do the stand alone TCM. This was further compounded by the fact there was a split in the partnership at Paramount Performanceand the guy who was the NAG expert split. I finally got his # from Paramount and he has reprogrammed the TCM. I just got that back last week so I cannot even say it works yet.
Not trying to flame LXModguy ,but this is the TCM I got through him.
Bottom line is this.
The truck set up works for some reason I cannot explain. I have seen it set up in cars that work but I could never get all the details from the guys with those cars as to what it took. TONS of manual transmission/3 gen Hemi swaps and that works on a whole different level of computer programming that I cannot explain.
I only know I am where I am with this thing and it has cost me a **** ton of $$$$$ because nobody has a simple swap solution to this concept.
If you can engineer the speed sensor swap or just bring the entire rear axle over it might work out. i CAN tell you there was no way to get the speed sensors mounted on the axle in my 8 3/4 rear assembly. The only reason I did not bring the rear from the donor is because it was a re-engineering issue and hacking into the package tray would have been required.
Proceed with caution and a HUGE bank account!

That looks totally BITCHEN!!! How hard was it to put that modern dash in the car? Looks made to fit. First one I have seen. I thought about trying that but figured it would take too much work. My hats off on the perfect build!!

That looks totally BITCHEN!!! How hard was it to put that modern dash in the car? Looks made to fit. First one I have seen. I thought about trying that but figured it would take too much work. My hats off on the perfect build!!

It was surprisingly simple, not much modification to the new dash frame just time and patience. The dash cover took the longest just test fit, remove, trim, test fit, remove trim.......
look through my thread and there are pics of how it progressed with comments on the effort.
Once fit, we painted it with SEM brand paint for this application. Custom mixed the color.

Auto Transport Service
Back