• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speed Shop candy that we drooled over

Outlaw525

Local time
3:44 AM
Reaction score
For those of us that remember going to the dealership for Direct Connection parts or the local speed shop or Super Shops, what were the parts that you drooled over but couldn't afford back then?

Here are a couple of mine that I recently found and splurged on:

s-l140 (2).jpg
s-l1402 (2).jpg

My local Super Shops had a BBC Blower Engine on each side of the door as you entered. Loved that place. It was before cell phones. If my parents were looking for me, they'd call my work first followed by Super Shops.

We called the Super Shops store around here Stupid Shops. They catered to the Chevy guys and didn't know squat about Mopars nor did they stock much for Mopars so most of us went to the independents that did know how to speak Mopar. Also, the local shop knew me well enough that if he didn't have the part I wanted in stock, he would order it without me having to make a trip to pay for it first. This was in the days before I had any credit cards.

You're right Cranky. they were Chevy focused but had tires and wheels.The Super Shops on 82nd street in Portland OR was open until 10:00 PM on the weekend. 1981 we rolled in with my '70 Road Runner about 7:00 on Saturday night and they mounted a set of slicks on my car, even drilled the wheels for bead screws. We drove from there down to the Firestone plant to street race and then 40 miles home on slicks. I can remember guys buying carbs and bolting them on the parking lot.
Salem Speed Shop and Hershberger Motors - Plymouth dealership were my go to for most speed parts back then.

We had Ramchargers! I still remember the first new 340 cam I bought from them. As a matter of fact I still have it! 440'

Aren't you gonna let that fall on the floor like all the car shows do?

Early to mid 70's one of the local shops had a large shelving unit with used stuff for sale by private parties. I'd go every week to drool. Never could afford any of it.

Wow I wish I was around then! I’m a 75 model, known for poor performance, rust and heavy emissions crap.. those guys were the bomb back then! Two things guys (maybe three) cared about in their early years and to have a speed shop around is like putting the tap/ keg in an alcoholics fridge !

While in service (69 -73) there was a speed shop on El Camino Real (San Franciso Bay area). I was about 21, trying to rebuild a very tired 426 wedge. Didn't know enough to be dangerous. Still don't.

The proprieter there helped me out a bunch. Turned out he was racing an early b body in SS/ something. When he found out I had a 426 block he traded me all the parts I needed to rebuild a 413 block I'd gotten with the car, for the 426 block. He then lined me up with a local machine shop for what was needed. That cost me a fair amount of $$$.

A good looking blond local girl helped me put it all back together. She'd go with me to the speed shop even. She was a sweetheart.

Still own the car. Should have married the girl.

I remember driving from my small town in Ontario, Canada to Mancini Racing in Detroit and having the full on drool. A full shop with nothing but Mopar stuff! And being helped there by big Mike (whose last name I have long forgotten). He was a good guy.

A hemi. Never could afford one and now that I can, I can't justify it.

I am having that battle with myself too (although I did have a Hemi Satellite back in the day - not a factory hemi car, but a stout engine that really pulled)

Auto Transport Service
Back