• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

speedo gear

hacksaw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:17 PM
Reaction score
ok ... took out a 2.73 rear gear .... went to 4.56. i don't know what color my driven speedo gears is but speedo seems to be about 2X speed ..... anyone else out there have an idea what gear i need to get it close?? O and i have a 904 trans and 235 70 14's ... tnx

8.75moparrearend.jpg

To get it right, you need to measure the circumference of the tire. You can measure the diameter of the tire & multiply that number by 3.14 to get your circumference. Then you can use any number of online speedometer calculators to pick the correct speedometer gear. They "usually" give you number of teeth on the gear in their answer.

Once you know the number of teeth, you can figure out the color of the gear too. I "think" there are some colors used more than once, so color is easiest, but number of teeth is really what you need. There's probably someone on this side (Dr.Diff, transmission builders) and then there's always Ebay to get the correct gear.

Auto Transport Service
Back