• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer Cable Help

pnora

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:37 PM
Reaction score
I was routing the speedometer cable on my 69 charger and broke the locking tab off that holds it to the speedometer head. This is a custom cable made to fit with an end that fits the Tremec TKO 600 5 speed. Its a new cable so I hate to just buy another if I can fix it. Is there some company that sells the plastic end and retainer ring?

Paper clip wire for a reinforce web and JB's Plastic Bonder, or Permatex Plastic Mender, to put the tab back in place.

I do not know where the broken piece went. I was under the car trying to feed it and I heard a slight snap. Should of had another set of eyes. I can look some more later when I go back out there.

I just had a similar issue with the lock tab parting ways...and I know it's kinda ghetto...but I used 4 1/8 inch zip ties on mine...one goes around the cable where it necks down...one around the speedo head between the case and where the flared ring for the old lock tab goes...for the sake of this description we call those horizontal . As you look down on the back of your cluster..before tightening them pass another tie through both of the horizontal ties and just start it a couple clicks..move it to the 3 o'clock position (or towards 120 on the speedo)...pass another tie in the same fashion but put it at the 9 o'clock position (or towards zero speed). Call those 2 vertical..

Then with some carefully calculated tightening the horizontal ones will lock the vertical ones in.And the vertical ones will draw the cable into the speedo head.
You have to tighten all 4 kinda at the same time..so go slow. Sounds more complicated than it is...but it will work for a good long time.
Ofcourse you could yank the cable and have a new end put on it...that's what I was going to do..but the speedo and cable shop is 2 hours away.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas. I am in no hurry to fix it as I have 15 years into it now so why hurry. [lol]. What I did find is this adapter that will allow the gear and clip I already have fit into the transmission. Then I will just pony up and buy a new Mopar cable. That way I wont have to ever deal with this half breed cable they sent with the transmission conversion kit.

Speedo adapter.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back