• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

speedometer jumpy, bouncy

use2teech

Local time
8:41 AM
Reaction score
Not sure if someone can offer any info other than what I've read in older posts. Have a 65 coronet 500 and the speedo needle bounces all over when driving, sometimes 10 mph jumps, sometimes 20 or 30. Does it all the time. I had an Imperial Services cable, bought it new when I built the car and it did it. I took the cluster out, cleaned everything and it still did it. Bought a used cluster from a member and it did the exact same thing, no change whatsoever. I ended up melting my cable this summer and bought a really nice cable from Kramer. Installed it and it's exactly the same. I've lubed both the old and the new cables, tried a light amount of a synthetic trans lube then a heavier amount of general purpose grease. Seems like I must be missing something as no matter what I've tried, nothing seems to make any change at all. It seems exactly the same each time.

lots of things can cause the jumping needle, to long of a cable, to heavy weight of grease, no grease, kink or dented cable housing, routing of the cable & housing, you said you had changed out the cluster, did you pull the speedo gear from the trans and check it over? they are plastic and do wear out . could be a bind down there in the trans were the gear fits through the bullet.
when you relube use a light coat of white lithium grease on a clean cable , make sure the inside of the cable housing is clean also.

sounds like the speedo head itself is bad, time for a rebuild or find one that works

Mine did that also. A new cable was all it needed.

Chuck

To tight of a bend can cause it
Check your routing and try to have longest bends possible

Thanks for the responses. Like A383wing wrote, I am on my second new cable and second speedo head. It's done it every time pretty much the exact same as far as I can tell. Maybe the routing or the speedo gear as I haven't considered them. Thanks again.

Keith

To much lash in the tranny gear could cause it but I'd definitely look at the routing.

Same problem on my '65. Any issue just leaving it disconnected under the dash until I get a chance to fix it? I can ballpark my speed by RPM.

Where the cable slides into the back of the cluster you will find a brass bushing.Check to see if it clean/dry. Pack the bushing with Vaseline petrolatum jelly with your finger. I had a speedo company tell me that,,Bull sh!t I thought,, Dang it worked.Just a thought.

well I used a mopar speedometer cable lube, not lithium, I purchased brand new mopar cable it was dry I had to add almost a whole tube of Mopar speedo lube, the first time I installed the cable the needle was jumping, this right after the speedo was rebuilt! you never know what to expect. good thing I checked the cable. works like new now. The orginal speedometer cable on my car was made by Stewart Warner it was imprinted on the casing!

Auto Transport Service
Back